Research Papers - 2019
Research Papers posted are available in PDF format ONLY. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version of the document.
- Laser-Enhanced Short-Circuiting Metal Transfer in GMAW
Spatter was nearly eliminated and the transfer frequency was precisely controlled when using pulsed laser irradiation.
by S. J. Chen et al.
- Dynamic Behavior of Solder Filling during Ultrasonic Soldering
A high-speed camera was used to visually observe dynamic behavior of solder filling in a nonwetting joint capillary under ultrasonic agitation.
by Z. Xu et al.
- Undercut Formation Mechanism in Keyhole Plasma Arc Welding
This study suggests undercut formation is caused by irregular fluid flow and uneven energy distribution of the weld pool.
by A. V. Nguyen et al.
- Assessment of Thermoplastic Weldability Using the Deformation Technique
A new method for joining polymers without the use of additive materials helped avoid product overweight.
by P. Kumar and S. S. Panda
- Laser Wire Deposition of a Large Ti-6Al-4V Space Component
The additive manufacturing methodology and manufacturing strategy for printing a large space component with varying wall thicknesses are described.
by N. Chekir et al.
- Joining Alumina to the TZM Alloy by Hot Pressing
A two-step process produced a strong joint in a ceramic-to-metal assembly.
by R. Berkouch et al.
- Root Pass Microstructure in Super Duplex Stainless Steel Multipass Welds
Multiple thermal cycles experienced in the root resulted in an increased root fusion zone austenite-ferrite ratio and presence of secondary austenite.
by T. Pickle et al.
- Cold Wire Gas Metal Arc Welding: Droplet Transfer and Geometry
High-speed imaging was used to study the arc dynamics induced by cold wire addition during the three natural transfer modes in welding.
by R. A. Ribeiro et al.
- Bubble Evolution in Ultrasonic Wave-Assisted Underwater Wet FCAW
The dynamic features of the bubble under an acoustic field were demonstrated and analyzed by visual sensing and welding electrical signals.
by J. Wang et al.
- Interface Reactions Responsible for Run-Out in Active Brazing: Part 2
It was discovered that minimizing aluminum content in the filler metal will help mitigate run-out in braze joints between two Kovar™ base materials and Ag-XAl filler metals.
by P. T. Vianco et al.
- Local Structural Changes during Martensite Decomposition in Cr-Mo Steel Dissimilar Weldments
Local structure changes with different postweld heat treatment durations in the soft zone of a dissimilar metal joint were investigated.
by S. Petchsang et al.
- Cross-Weld Creep Performance in Grade 91 Steel: Macro-Based Assessment
Detailed hardness mapping and damage evaluation supported the observation that damage occurred in a region in the HAZ not characterized by a local reduction in hardness values.
by J. A. Siefert et al.
- Weldability of Duplex Stainless Steels – Thermal Cycle and Nitrogen Effects
These findings should allow fabricators to better design the welding process with duplex stainless steels.
by B. Varbai et al.
- Effect of Multiple Weld Thermal Cycles on HSLA-100 Steel
All regions of the base metal and heat-affected zone with the exception of the coarse-grained heat-affected zone exhibited toughness values above the minimum requirements.
by J. E. Duch and J. N. DuPont
- Stress Relief Cracking Susceptibility in High Temperature Alloys
A newly proposed test procedure and susceptibility index provide a robust approach for studying and ranking the stress relief cracking susceptibility of engineering alloys.
by R. Kant and J. DuPont
- Austenitic Stainless Steel Cladding Interface Microstructures Evaluated for Petrochemical Applications
Metallurgically bonded claddings generated by three different methods were systematically generated and compared to evaluate their advantages and limitations.
by N. Switzner and Z. Yu
- The Mechanical Performance of Sn-Pb Solder Joints on LTCC Substrates
This study evaluated the properties of a thin-film metallization layer deposited on low-temperature co-fired ceramic base materials.
by P. Vianco et al.
- Corrosion Behaviors of CMT Spot-Joined AA6022-T4 to Galvanized DC03
Postweld e-coating of cold metal transfer welded aluminum to steel joints provide a high level of corrosion protection.
by H. Y. Lei et al.
Become a Skilled Tradeperson
The demand for most trades is strong and getting stronger. The U.S. Department of Labor forecasts healthy growth in the neighborhood of 8 to 9 percent over the next decade. Jobs associated with building and rebuilding roads, bridges, water, and the power grid are expected to grow by double-digit percentages–faster than the overall economy.