Research Papers - 2019
Research Papers posted are available in PDF format ONLY. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version of the document.
- Influence of Fluid Flow on Humping Bead during High-Speed GMAW
A 3D reconstruction system was proposed to study the behavior of the weld pool during highspeed gas metal arc welding.
by L. Wang et al.
- HAZ Softening of Resistance Spot Welded 3T Dissimilar Steel Stack-up
The model developed was shown to accurately predict nugget size under a wide range of welding currents.
by Y. Lu et al.
- Bake-Strengthening of Resistance Spot Welded Aluminum Alloy 6061
Varying heat treatment sequences were used to study the effect of welding-induced microsegregation on the joints' bake-strengthening ability.
by Y. Zhang et al.
- Physical Phenomena in the Weld Zone of Submerged Arc Welding – A Review
This comprehensive literature review covers more than 100 years of research from around the world related to submerged arc welding.
by V. Sengupta et al.
- In-Situ Monitoring of Transient Strain Formation in Vertical Welds
The study focused on the transient strain formation during exchange of the filler rod.
by M. Pliazhuk et al.
- Duplex Stainless Steel/Martensitic Steel Dissimilar Resistance Spot Welding: Microstructure-Properties Relationships
The phase transformations and mechanical performance of dissimilar resistance spot welds were analyzed.
by S. Sobhani and M. Pouranvari
- Optimizing Ultrasonic Plus Resistance Spot Welding for Dissimilar Metal Joining
A thin layer of intermetallic compounds formed at the Al/steel interface of the final joint.
by Y. Lu et al.
- High-Speed Tandem Pulsed GTAW of Thin Stainless Steel Plate
The effects of pulsed welding current parameters on weld appearance were studied through a statistical design of experiment.
by H. Jiang et al.
- Laser Heat Treatment of Low-Alloy Ultrahigh-Strength Steel, Laser-Welded Joints
After laser heat treatment, the range of plastic deformation expanded, which led to a larger bending radius and less tensile stress on the bending surface.
by C. Luo et al.
- Spot Weld Strength Modeling and Processing Maps for Hot-Stamping Steels
Resistance spot welding was simulated for more than 250 different sets of welding time, current, and electrode force to create 3D processing maps.
by A. Mohamadizadeh
- Laser-Enhanced Short-Circuiting Metal Transfer in GMAW
Spatter was nearly eliminated and the transfer frequency was precisely controlled when using pulsed laser irradiation.
by S. J. Chen et al.
- Dynamic Behavior of Solder Filling during Ultrasonic Soldering
A high-speed camera was used to visually observe dynamic behavior of solder filling in a nonwetting joint capillary under ultrasonic agitation.
by Z. Xu et al.
- Undercut Formation Mechanism in Keyhole Plasma Arc Welding
This study suggests undercut formation is caused by irregular fluid flow and uneven energy distribution of the weld pool.
by A. V. Nguyen et al.
- Assessment of Thermoplastic Weldability Using the Deformation Technique
A new method for joining polymers without the use of additive materials helped avoid product overweight.
by P. Kumar and S. S. Panda
- Laser Wire Deposition of a Large Ti-6Al-4V Space Component
The additive manufacturing methodology and manufacturing strategy for printing a large space component with varying wall thicknesses are described.
by N. Chekir et al.
- Joining Alumina to the TZM Alloy by Hot Pressing
A two-step process produced a strong joint in a ceramic-to-metal assembly.
by R. Berkouch et al.
- Root Pass Microstructure in Super Duplex Stainless Steel Multipass Welds
Multiple thermal cycles experienced in the root resulted in an increased root fusion zone austenite-ferrite ratio and presence of secondary austenite.
by T. Pickle et al.
- Cold Wire Gas Metal Arc Welding: Droplet Transfer and Geometry
High-speed imaging was used to study the arc dynamics induced by cold wire addition during the three natural transfer modes in welding.
by R. A. Ribeiro et al.
- Bubble Evolution in Ultrasonic Wave-Assisted Underwater Wet FCAW
The dynamic features of the bubble under an acoustic field were demonstrated and analyzed by visual sensing and welding electrical signals.
by J. Wang et al.
- Interface Reactions Responsible for Run-Out in Active Brazing: Part 2
It was discovered that minimizing aluminum content in the filler metal will help mitigate run-out in braze joints between two Kovar™ base materials and Ag-XAl filler metals.
by P. T. Vianco et al.
- Local Structural Changes during Martensite Decomposition in Cr-Mo Steel Dissimilar Weldments
Local structure changes with different postweld heat treatment durations in the soft zone of a dissimilar metal joint were investigated.
by S. Petchsang et al.
- Cross-Weld Creep Performance in Grade 91 Steel: Macro-Based Assessment
Detailed hardness mapping and damage evaluation supported the observation that damage occurred in a region in the HAZ not characterized by a local reduction in hardness values.
by J. A. Siefert et al.
- Weldability of Duplex Stainless Steels – Thermal Cycle and Nitrogen Effects
These findings should allow fabricators to better design the welding process with duplex stainless steels.
by B. Varbai et al.
- Effect of Multiple Weld Thermal Cycles on HSLA-100 Steel
All regions of the base metal and heat-affected zone with the exception of the coarse-grained heat-affected zone exhibited toughness values above the minimum requirements.
by J. E. Duch and J. N. DuPont
- Stress Relief Cracking Susceptibility in High Temperature Alloys
A newly proposed test procedure and susceptibility index provide a robust approach for studying and ranking the stress relief cracking susceptibility of engineering alloys.
by R. Kant and J. DuPont
- Austenitic Stainless Steel Cladding Interface Microstructures Evaluated for Petrochemical Applications
Metallurgically bonded claddings generated by three different methods were systematically generated and compared to evaluate their advantages and limitations.
by N. Switzner and Z. Yu
- The Mechanical Performance of Sn-Pb Solder Joints on LTCC Substrates
This study evaluated the properties of a thin-film metallization layer deposited on low-temperature co-fired ceramic base materials.
by P. Vianco et al.
- Corrosion Behaviors of CMT Spot-Joined AA6022-T4 to Galvanized DC03
Postweld e-coating of cold metal transfer welded aluminum to steel joints provide a high level of corrosion protection.
by H. Y. Lei et al.