Research Papers - 2018
Research Papers posted are available in PDF format ONLY. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version of the document.
- Microstructure Evolution and Solidification Cracking in Austenitic Stainless Steel Welds
A novel quenching technique helped to gain a better understanding of solidification cracking.
by P. Yu et al.
- Exploring the Cooling Process for Residual Stress Reduction in Dissimilar Welds
Carbon dioxide rapid cooling was found to eliminate stresses in gas tungsten arc welds.
by H. Eisazadeh et al.
- Rotating-Tungsten Narrow-Groove GTAW for Thick Plates
This technique improved sidewall fusion and ensured a uniform and smooth weld appearance.
by C. Jia et al.
- Alloy Composition and Critical Temperatures in Type 410 Steel Welds
The design of experiment approach was used to evaluate the effect of alloy composition on critical temperatures in Type 410 steels and welding consumables.
by D. J. Stone et al.
- Influence of Multiple Gleeble®-Simulated Weld Thermal Cycles on Maraging 17-4 and 13-8+Mo
This study demonstrated that controlled weld metal deposition may be used to eliminate the need for postweld heat treatment in these alloys.
by R. J. Hamlin and J. N. DuPont
- Development of Nickel-Added, Iron-Based, Slag-Free, Self-Shielded Metal-Cored Wire
A wire with various nickel contents was developed to fabricate experimental hardfacing alloys.
by D. Liu et al.
- Welding Technology Development for an Erosion-Resistant Slurry Pipeline Steel
Technology was developed for welding a new erosion-resistant high-manganese steel for use as a pipeline material.
by X. Yue et al.
- Effect of Nitrogen on Solidification Cracking Resistance in ERNiCr-3 Weld Metal
Increasing nitrogen content proved to significantly increase susceptibility to solidification cracking.
by M. R. Orr et al.
- Characterization of P92 Steel Weldments in As-Welded and PWHT Conditions
Postweld heat treatment resulted in enhanced ductility of shielded metal arc welded P92 steel joints.
by N. Saini et al.
- Fiber Laser Welding of 1700-MPa, Ultrahigh-Strength Steel
Welding speed was the dominant factor that affected appearance quality in these ultrahigh-strength steel laser welded joints.
by C. Luo et al.
- Arc Formation in Narrow Gap Hot Wire Laser Welding
High-speed imaging was used to observe and explain process behavior of narrow gap hot wire laser welding.
by J. Näsström et al.
- EBW and LBW of Additive Manufactured Ti6Al4V Products
Good-quality electron beam and laser beam welds of both additive manufactured and wrought materials were achieved for aerospace applications.
by B. Tavlovich et al.
- Dynamic Reflection Behaviors of Weld Pool Surface in Pulse GTAW
By quantifying the relation between the image grayness variations with the penetration stages, a method was found for automated control of the welding process.
by J. Chen et al.
- Influence of Horn Misalignment on Weld Quality in Ultrasonic Welding of Carbon Fiber/Polyamide 66 Composite
The effect of horn misalignment on weld size was examined and validated.
by Q. Zhi et al.
- Quantification of Residual Stresses in External Attachment Welding Applications – Part II: Effect of Preheating and Clamping Conditions
Finite element software was used to predict the extent and level of residual stress on external attachment welds.
by R. Alhajri and S. Liu
- Weld Processing and Mechanical Responses of 1-GPa TRIP Steel Resistance Spot Welds
Experiments showed the size and geometry of the fusion zone was the most important factor affecting the mechanical performance of TRIP steel resistance spot welds.
by R. Ashiri et al.
- Hot Wire-Assisted Gas Metal Arc Welding of Ni-Based Hardfacing
An additional hot wire influenced the degradation behavior and distribution of fused tungsten carbides.
by K. Günther et al.
- Measurement of Calibrated Recursive Analytic in the Gas Tungsten Arc Weld Pool Model
Weld cross sections were used to verify a recursive model calibrated by measurements of the 3D weld pool surface.
by S. J. Wu et al.
- Effects of Electrode Surface Topography on Aluminum Resistance Spot Welding
Three types of electrode face designs were studied to see how electrode face topography can influence resistance heat generation and electrode cooling effects.
by L. Deng et al.
- Online Inspection of Weld Quality in Ultrasonic Welding of Carbon Fiber/Polyamide 66 without Energy Directors
A method for evaluating ultrasonic weld quality based on target horn displacement and duration was developed.
by Q. Zhi et al.
- The Effect of Postweld Heat Treatment on Hydrogen-Assisted Cracking of F22/625 Overlays
A range of postweld heat treatment conditions was evaluated to determine susceptibility to hydrogen-assisted cracking.
by T. Dai et al.
- Arc Behavior and Droplet Dynamics of AC GTAW-GMAW Hybrid Indirect Arc
Waveform parameters and the position of the wire and tungsten electrodes were studied to determine their effects on arc behavior and droplet dynamics.
by T. Amaya et al.
- Interface Reactions Responsible for Run-Out in Active Brazing: Part 1
Run-out was predicted when the filler metal had a locally elevated Al content exceeding 2 to 5 wt−%.
by P. T. Vianco et al.
- Solidification Cracking Mechanism of Carbon Steel Weld Metal
Studies showed the solidification cracking susceptibility of carbon steel increased with increasing travel speed.
by T. Amaya et al.
- Toward Process-Based Quality through a Fundamental Understanding of Weld Microstructural Evolution
The 2017 Adams Lecture discusses qualifying welded components by integrating software and hardware tools capable of describing physical processes that occur during welding.
by S. S. Babu
- Single-Sided Ultrasonic Welding of CF/Nylon 6 Composite without Energy Directors
A fundamental understanding was developed for improving design flexibility of ultrasonic welded assembly processes that occur during welding.
by L.-Y. Chen et al.
- The Aging Effects of Aluminum Magnesium Alloy Welding Wires
Changes in winding diameter, vaporable containment, adhesion, and hydrogen content were compared for welding wires from different manufacturers under various storage conditions.
by U. Reisgen et al.