Research Papers - 2016
Research Papers posted are available in PDF format ONLY. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version of the document.
- Ni-WC Hardfacing by Gas Metal Arc Welding
A controlled short circuiting gas metal arc process was evaluated for its hardfacing capabilities.
by P. Yu et al.
- Influence of Flux Composition on the Performance of a Nickel-Based Alloy Covered Electrode for 9% Ni Steel Welding
Basic and acid slag systems for coated electrodes were compared for weldability and mechanical properties.
by H. Wang and G. He
- Failure Mode Transition of Triple-Thin-Sheet Aluminum Alloy Resistance Spot Welds under Tensile-Shear Loads
Tensile shear tests were performed on four different joint designs to develop an analytic model.
by Y. Li et al.
- Optical and Spectroscopic Study of a Submerged Arc Welding Cavern
A thin-gauge steel tunnel was inserted into the flux to observe and record four different welding modes.
by G. Gött et al.
- Laser Weldability of 21Cr-6Ni-9Mn Stainless Steel: Part 2 – Weldability Diagrams
Susceptibility to solidification cracking was determined from tests on 14 commercial and 20 experimental alloys.
by S. B. Tate et al.
- The Effect of Reduced Pressure on Laser Keyhole Weld Porosity and Weld Geometry in Commercially Pure Titanium and Nickel
Laser welds produced in a vacuum exhibited deep penetration and low volumetric porosity.
by J. W. Elmer et al.
- Multiphysics Modeling of a Welded Furnace Roll for Improving Creep-Fatigue Life
Failure in a welded roll in a continuous coating line was investigated for ways to improve creep-fatigue life.
by Y. P. Yang and W. C. Mohr
- Diffusion Soldering of a Pd/Ni Couple Using a Sn Thin-Film Interlayer
Diffusion soldering was evaluated as a means of joining a Pd cell for hydrogen purification.
by C.-H. Chuang and Y.-C. Lin
- Girth Welding of API 5L X70 and X80 Sour Service Pipes
Welded joints in high-strength pipe were tested for hardness, toughness, tensile strength, and resistance to H2S.
by G. Z. Batista et al.
- Laser Weldability of 21Cr-6Ni-9Mn Stainless Steel: Part I – Impurity Effects and Solidification Mode
The effect of phosphorus and sulfur on solidification cracking susceptibility was analyzed.
by S. B. Tate et al.
- Influence of Al Interlayer Thickness on Laser Welding of Mg/Steel
Different thicknesses of an Al interlayer were tested for metallurgical bonding strength in a Mg-steel joint.
by C. W. Tan et al.
- Hollow Cathode Centered Negative Pressure Arc
Arc behaviors were studied and correlated to process parameters with a novel hollow cathode.
by F. Jiang et al.
- Low-Stress Abrasion Behaviors of Fe-Cr-C (1.4∼5.6 wt-%) Hardsurface Coatings
Increasing the carbon content of hardfacing coatings produced greater hardness and reduced mass loss from low-stress abrasion.
by S. Liu et al.
- Humping Phenomena in High-Speed GTAW of Different Weld Penetrations
The morphologies, thresholds, and formation processes of two types of humping defects were studied and compared.
by X. Meng et al.
- Metal Transfer in the Cross-Arc Welding Process
Cross-arc welding was proposed to decouple heat input and deposition in gas metal arc welding to increase productivity while maintaining base metal heat input at a desired level.
by L. Zhang et al.
- Brazing Molybdenum and Graphite with a Titanium-Based Powder Filler Metal
Texturing the graphite surface with concentric notches was found to increase the shear strength of the joints in this method of brazing Mo-C joints.
by I. V. Fedotov et al.
- Effect of Ar-CO2 Gas Blends on Droplet Temperature in GMAW
Higher concentrations of CO2 in an argon-CO2 mix do not appear to change the shape of the temperature curve.
by C. McIntosh et al.
- Evolution of Welding-Fume Aerosols with Time and Distance from the Source
Number size and particle mass distributions were measured from welding fumes generated near the arc (30 cm) and farther from the arc (200 cm) to assess the degree of welder exposure.
by WL. G. Cena et al.
- Projection Welding with Pneumatic and Servomechanical Electrode Operating Force Systems
A comparative analysis of the systems was performed using finite element calculations and destructive and nondestructive testing of the welds.
by Z. Mikno
- Ultra-Narrow-Groove Laser Welding for Heavy Sections in ITER
Defect-free welds were made on 60-mm-thick stainless steel plates using a wire-fed fiber laser.
by S. K. Wu et al.
- Temperature and Stress Simulation of the Hardfacing for Cr5Mo1V-RE Alloy
Experimental results indicate the computational temperature field and stress field agree well for the alloys.
by J. Yang et al.
- Solidification Cracking Susceptibility of Ni-30Cr Weld Metals with Variable Niobium and Molybdenum
An investigation on the effect of Nb and Mo additions to Alloy 690’s susceptibility to cracking was performed.
by R. A. Wheeling and J. C. Lippold
- Pulsed Ultrasonic-Wave-Assisted GMAW of 7A52 Aluminum Alloy
Three groups of comparative experiments were conducted to assess the effect of ultrasonic treatment on molten metal.
by W. F. Xie et al.
- Characterization of Constitutive Behavior of Dissimilar Aluminum Alloy Resistance Spot Welds
The weld nuggets and heat-affected zones for three dissimilar aluminum alloy stack-ups were evaluated.
by J. Kang et al.
- Constitutional Liquation of the Laves Phase in Virgin FB2 Steel
Large particles of Laves phase were observed in a new 9% Cr martensitic stainless steel, which under certain conditions might lead to liquation cracking.
by K. Li et al.
- Ultrasonic-Induced Rising and Wetting of a Sn-Zn Filler in an Aluminum Joint
The wetting of a Sn-Zn solder in a vertical aluminum joint under ultrasonic agitation was investigated.
by Z. Xu et al..
- Effects of Ultrasonic Power on the Hardness of Aluminum 3003-H18 Alloy
The relationship between power and hardness is studied in ultrasonic additive manufacturing.
by K. Sojiphan et al.
- Current-Independent Metal Transfer by Using Pulsed Laser Irradiation Part 2: Affecting Factors
One droplet per laser pulse is achievable with the application of high power to irradiate the droplet neck.
by J. Xiao et al.
- Visual Sensing of the Physical Process during Underwater Wet FCAW
An image capture system was developed to monitor bubble, droplet, and arc behavior activity.
by C. B. Jia et al.
- Investigating Friction Stir Welding on Thick Nylon 6 Plates
Controlling rotational speed proved an important factor in friction stir welding of polymeric materials.
by A. Zafar et al.
- Measurement and Application of Arc Separability in Plasma Arc
A novel system based on a split anode was developed to better understand the ability to adjust heat and arc pressure distribution without a change in current.
by S. J. Chen et al.
- Fiber Laser Welding of Al-Si-Coated Press-Hardened Steel
It was found the Al-Si coating significantly modified the fusion microstructure.
by D. C. Saha et al.
- The Effect of an Al Tip in Arc Stud Welding on the Properties of the Welded Joint
The results showed there is an optimum range for aluminum tip weight for drawn arc stud welding.
by M. Gholam Bargani et al.
- Calculation of Solid Wire Melting Rate in CO2 Welding
Two models, one derived from regression analysis and the other derived from experimental data, were developed to calculate the coefficient of melting.
by Y. L. Chang and A. S. Babkin
- Undercutting Formation Mechanism in Gas Metal Arc Welding
Experiments using a vision-based sensing system show a low-current tungsten argon arc can suppress undercutting.
by R. Zong et al.
- A Residual Stress Study in Similar and Dissimilar Welds
The weld zone is characterized in dissimilar welds, giving insight into the consequences of phase transformation.
by H. Eisazadeh et al.
- Cold Metal Transfer (CMT) GMAW of Zinc-Coated Steel
Porosity formation and mechanical properties were examined in a zinc-coated steel lap joint joined with a cold metal transfer process over a range of heat inputs.
by MD. R. U. Ahsan et al.
- Classification of Metal Transfer Mode in Underwater Wet Welding
Four metal transfer modes were studied with the flux cored process in an underwater environment.
by N. Guo et al.
- Microwave Joining – Part 1: Closed-Loop Controlled Microwave Soldering of Lead Telluride to Copper
A microwave joining process might offer a more economical and efficient means of joining ceramic to metal than presently available.
by D. Hoyt et al.
- Resistance Spot Weldability of Deformed TRIP800 Steel
Shear strength, button geometry, indentation, and hardness were all evaluated in the weldability of advanced high-strength steel.
by H. E. Emre et al.
- Chromium Emissions during Welding in an Aluminum Shipbuilding Environment
Soluble and insoluble concentrations of hexavalent chromium were studied for whether they exceeded OSHA regulatory limits.
by T. N. McManus et al.
- Current-Independent Metal Transfer by Using Pulsed Laser Irradiation Part 1: System and Verification
Pulsed laser technology is shown to control metal transfer and avoid wasting laser energy.
by J. Xiao et al.
- Workpiece Positioning during Magnetic Pulse Welding of Aluminum-Steel Joints
The collision angle, collision velocity, and radial impact velocity were investigated for optimum magnetic pulse welding.
by A. Lorenz et al.
- Effect of Torch Height on Arc Stability in Divided-Arc Processes
An experimental study was conducted to determine the effect of torch height on the operation of the divided-arc welding process.
by S. J. Chen et al.
- Liquation and Liquation Cracking in Partially Melted Zones of Magnesium Welds
A variety of magnesium alloys was investigated to help understand and predict liquation cracking susceptibility.
by X. Chai et al.
- TLP Bonding of Dissimilar FSX414/IN738 System with MBF80 Interlayer: Optimization of the Bonding Time and Temperature
The effect of different temperatures on transient liquid phase bonding was researched.
by B. Abbasi-Khazaei et al.
- 2015 Adams Lecture – Engineering Approximations in Welding: Bridging the Gap between Speculation and Simulation
While on the surface some typical questions asked of welding engineers and metallurgists may seem simple, in reality they are quite complex.
by C. V. Robino
- Porosity in Thick Section Alloy 690 Welds – Experiments, Modeling, Mechanism, and Remedy
A combined modeling and experimental analysis was conducted to identify methods for eliminating porosity.
by J. J. Blecher et al.
- Microstructure Evolution of Fine-Grained Heat-Affected Zone in Type IV Failure of P91 Welds
The microstructure evolution of a set of welds is tracked through three stages of thermomechanical history.
by Y. Wang and L. Li
- Identification of Welding Parameters for Quality Welds in GMAW
The proposed mathematical models allow calculation of weld sizes with acceptable accuracy.
by A. S. Babkin and E. A. Gladkov
Become a Skilled Tradeperson
The demand for most trades is strong and getting stronger. The U.S. Department of Labor forecasts healthy growth in the neighborhood of 8 to 9 percent over the next decade. Jobs associated with building and rebuilding roads, bridges, water, and the power grid are expected to grow by double-digit percentages–faster than the overall economy.