Research Papers - 2015
Research Papers posted are available in PDF format ONLY. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version of the document.
- Laser-Assisted GMAW Hardfacing
The influence of a laser preheated wire on deposition characteristics was investigated.
by Y. Ali et al.
- A Simple Index for Predicting the Susceptibility to Solidification Cracking
A method for predicting solidification cracking in Al-Mg alloys is proposed.
by S. Kou
- The Use of Virtual Welding Simulators to Evaluate Experienced Welders
A virtual reality simulator was assessed as to whether it is an effective tool to determine the skill level of an experienced welder.
by A. P. Byrd et al.
- Analysis of the Flux Consumption and Metal Transfer for Tandem Submerged Arc Welding Process under Iso-Heat Input Conditions
The relationship of flux consumption, transfer mode, and weld bead shape was analyzed.
by D.W. Cho et al.
- Disaggregated Metal and Carbide Catchment Efficiencies in Laser Cladding of Nickel-Tungsten Carbide
Cladding with a CO2 laser system was tested for the effects of power, powder feed rate, and travel speed.
by G. Wood and P. F. Mendez
- Properties of Silicon-Added, Iron-Based, Slag-Free, Self-Shielded Flux-Cored Wire
Silicon addition to the composition proved beneficial in improving wear resistance.
by D. S. Liu and P. Wei
- Effect of FCAW Current on the Hardfacing Layer – Microstructure and Wear Resistance
Different welding currents were used to deposit hardfacing layers to determine which gave the optimum increase in hardness and wear resistance.
by J. Yang et al.
- The Effect of Ar and N2 Shielding Gas on Laser Weld Porosity in Steel, Stainless Steels, and Nickel
Experiments were performed to evaluate the influence of nitrogen in the shielding gas for eliminating porosity.
by J. W. Elmer et al.
- High-Speed Video of Metal Transfer in Submerged Arc Welding
A unique method of capturing images of metal transfer in submerged arc welding was devised to better understand the process.
by P. F. Mendez et al.
- Effect of Filler Metal on Mechanical Properties of HSLA Welds
Filler metal composition played a significant role in the successful submerged arc welding of high-strength pipe.
by B. Beidokhti and R. Pouriamanesh
- Keyhole Behaviors Influence Weld Defects in Plasma Arc Welding Process
An image capture system was used to observe the front and backside of keyhole behavior to better evaluate its influence on weld quality.
by Z. M. Liu et al.
- Friction Stir Welding of Aluminum Alloy AA5052 and HSLA Steel
This investigation of friction stir welding shows it to be a potential candidate for successfully joining aluminum and high-strength steel.
by K. K. Ramachandran et al.
- Predicting Weld Bead Geometry in the Novel CWGMAW Process
An analysis of a novel gas metal arc process that introduces a cold wire into the weld pool demonstrated bead geometry could be predicted with good accuracy.
by R. A. Ribeiro et al.
- New Brazing Recipe for Ductile Niobium-316L Stainless Steel Joints
Producing transition joints free of brittle intermetallic compounds is shown to be possible.
by A. Kumar et al.
- Transformation and Tempering Behavior of the Heat-Affected Zone of 2.25Cr-1Mo Steel
An investigation was undertaken to understand the cause of mechanical variations in the weld and HAZ from different tempering and austenization treatments.
by D. K. Hodgson et al.
- Jet Composition in Magnetic Pulse Welding: Al-Al and Al-Mg Couples
The composition of the jet emission from magnetic pulse welding was analyzed for joining both similar and dissimilar metals in a lap joint.
by A. Stern et al.
- Evaluation of Correlations between DP-GMAW Process Parameters and Bead Geometry
Statistical methods were used to evaluate the correlations between the double-pulsed gas metal arc process and various operating parameters.
by M. Sen et al.
- Wetting Behavior of Silver Braze Alloys onto Metallized Zirconia Inserts
An investigation was made to find a strong metal-ceramic interface for drill bit inserts.
by J. C. Pereira et al.
- Solid-State Dissimilar Joining of Ti-Fe with Nb and Cu Interlayers
The use of interlayers was found to be effective in diminishing intermetallic compounds along the interface of a titanium and steel joint.
by B. Liu et al.
- Physical-Chemical Interaction in NiAl-MeB2 Systems Intended for Tribological Applications
A strengthening refractory phase was introduced into the metallide NiAl to increase deformation resistance and hardness at high temperatures.
by O. Umanskyi et al.
- Nonlinear Modeling for 3D Weld Pool Characteristic Parameters in GTAW
A model to predict weld pool convexity was developed and analyzed.
by Y. K. Liu et al.
- Ultrasonic Soldering Aluminum at Low Temperature
Tin-based solder with zinc additions improved the properties of aluminum alloy joints.
by W. B. Guo, X. S. Leng, J. C. Yan, and Y. M. Tan
- Control of Keyhole Exit Position in Plasma Arc Welding Process
Controllable parameters of keyhole behavior were studied in the welding of stainless steel plate.
by Z. M. Liu et al.
- Welding Metallurgy of Dissimilar AISI 430/DQSK Steels Resistance Spot Welds
Research was conducted to evaluate the microstructural and mechanical performance of resistance spots welds.
by M. Pouranvari et al.
- Creep Rupture Performance of Welds of P91 Pipe Steel
Aluminum content in the fusion zone of creep-resistant steel was the focus of this investigation.
by X. Chai et al.
- Stability of the Cross-Arc Process - A Preliminary Study
A modified gas tungsten arc welding process where two wires are charged by a second power supply is proposed to increase deposition speed.
by S. J. Chen et al.
- Competitive Wetting in Active Brazes
The molecular dynamics of different brazing alloys were studied for their wetting characteristics.
by M. Chandross
- Laser-Vision-Based Measurement and Analysis of Weld Pool Oscillation Frequency in GTAW-P
An innovative sensing method is used to measure weld pool oscillation frequency, which is associated with weld penetration.
by Y. Shi et al.
- Influence of Gas Mixtures in GMAW of Modified 409M Ferritic Stainless Steel
Details are given on the effects shielding gas mixtures have on bead geometry, microstructure, and mechanical properties.
by M. Mukherjee et al.
- Analytical Modeling of the Friction Stir Welding Process Using Different Pin Profiles
An analytic model is developed for heat generation from using different pin configurations.
by V. S. Gadakh et al.
- Controlling 3D Weld Pool Surface by Adjusting Welding Speed
An augmented training system uses a machine algorithm to calculate the optimal welding speed for an untrained welder to follow.
by Y. K. Liu and Y. M. Zhang
- Fusion Zone Microstructure and Geometry in Complete-Joint-Penetration Laser-Arc Hybrid Welding of Low-Alloy Steel
Weld geometry and cooling rates with a laser-arc hybrid process were investigated both experimentally and theoretically.
by H. L. Wei et al.
- Interfacial Microstructure of Laser Brazed AZ31B Magnesium to Sn Plated Steel Sheet
This research seeks to make the joining of magnesium alloys to steel sheet easier and more reliable.
by A. M. Nasiri et al.
- Mitigation of Root Defect in Laser and Hybrid Laser-Arc Welding
A model was developed to predict root defects when using laser and hybrid-laser processes.
by J. J. Blecher et al.
- Carburization Phenomenon of ENiCrFe-7 Nickel-Based Alloy Covered Electrode
A search is made to find the factors that influence carbon transfer from the flux of covered electrodes into the weld metal.
by R. Qin and G. He
- Ventilation of Automated Metal Cutting Tables
A better understanding of airflow dynamics helps determine potential pollutant leaks into the workshop.
by R. Braconnier
- Interfacial Temperature Profiles in Simulated Resistance Spot Welding of Bare and Zinc-Coated Steel
Infrared emissions were monitored to better understand temperature profiles in resistance spot welding.
by E. Kim and T. W. Eagar
- A New Method for Corrosion Fatigue Testing of Weld Cladding Waterwall Coatings
An experimental method was developed to characterize the fatigue corrosion stresses a Ni-based cladding undergoes in a coal-fired boiler.
by A. W. Stockdale et al.
- Nitrogen Effect on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Nickel Alloys
The microstructure of nickel alloy welds that had been subjected to a nitrogen addition in an argon shielding gas was examined.
by B. Nabavi et al.
- Primary Chromium Carbide Fraction Control with Variable Polarity SAW
The effect of the fraction of time in electrode positive was examined for AC hardfacing with chromium-carbide alloys.
by S. D. Borle et al.
- Preliminary Investigation on Real-Time Induction Heating-Assisted Underwater Wet Welding
A unique induction heating-assisted underwater wet welding process was investigated.
by H. T. Zhang et al.
- Gas Metal Arc Welding of Magnesium Alloys: Oxide Films, High Crowns, and Fingers
Gas metal arc welding using controlled short circuiting was studied as a means of limiting porosity in joining magnesium.
by X. Chai et al.