Research Papers - 2014
Research Papers posted are available in PDF format ONLY. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version of the document.
- Characterization of Multilayered Multipass Friction Stir Weld on ASTM A572 G50 Steel
A butt/lap joint configuration was friction stir welded and its mechanical properties were evaluated for the best welds.
by Y. C. Lim et al.
- Friction Stir Welding of Extruded Powder Metallurgy Al Allloy
It was demonstrated that friction stir welding produced joints without voids or discontinuities and a refined microstructure in the stir zone.
by A. Elrefaey et al.
- Low Transformation Temperature Welding Consumables for Residual Stress Management: A Numerical Model for the Prediction of Phase Transformation-Induced Compressive Residual Stresses
Numerical analysis using the software Sysweld was performed on gas metal arc welds made with low-transformation-temperature welding wires.
by T. Alghamdi and S. Liu
- Improvement of Process Robustness in Weld Bonding of Galvanized DP780 Steel
A variable electrode force was used in this study to widen the weld lobe.
by Y. S. Zhang et al.
- Effect of Inserted Strips on Electrode Degradation in Resistance Spot Welding
A copper-nickel strip inserted into the spot welding process showed signs of extending electrode life
by Y. Y. Zhao et al.
- Material Strength Effect on Weld Shrinkage and Distortions
Factors that influence welding distortion and shrinkage were examined.
by Y. P. Yang et al.
- Metal Transfer with Force Analysis in Consumable and Nonconsumable Indirect Arc Welding Process
Forces acting on droplet transfer were analyzed to better understand the indirect arc welding process.
by Y. K. Liu et al.
- The Effect of Materials on Radiation Exposure during the GTAW Process
Visible light, infrared, and ultraviolet radiation were measured with gas tungsten arc welding of carbon steel, stainless steel, and titanium to determine the effects of electric current on photon energy rates.
by A. Gursel and A. Kurt
- Mechanical Behavior of Titanium-Clad Steel Welded Joints
Titanium-clad steel was welded with different interlayer materials and then tested for hardness, ductility, and shear strength.
by J. E. Ramirez
- Flux-Assisted Gas Tungsten Arc and Laser Welding of Titanium with Cryolite-Containing Fluxes: Arc Spectroscopy and Corrosion Resistance Studies
Autogenous welding and welding with a solid wire and newly developed tubular wires were compared for joining commercially pure titanium.
by T. AlSabti et al.
- Learning Human Welder Movement in Pipe GTAW: A Virtualized Welding Approach
Experiments were conducted to transfer human welding intelligence into the control system of a robot.
by Y. K. Liu et al.
- Microstructural Characteristics and Mechanical Properties of Fiber Laser Welded-Brazed Mg Alloy-Stainless Steel Joint
The influence of heat input on the microstructure and mechanical properties of a dissimilar joint welded with a laser-brazing process was investigated.
by C. W. Tan et al.
- Active Metal Transfer Control by Utilizing Enhanced Droplet Oscillation Part II: Modeling and Analysis
A numerical model of the dynamics of droplet oscillation and detachment is verified
by J. Xiao et al.
- Semi-Cutting-Assisted Laser Welding of Zinc-Coated Steels in a Zero Root Opening, Lap-Joint Configuration
Laser beam welding successfully meets the challenge of joining zinc-coated steel.
by S. Yang et al.
- Characterization of CSC-GMAW Titanium-Rich Weld Overlays
Various titanium-rich cladding materials and a combination of welding processes were tested to find which provided the best erosion/wear resistance.
by J. E. Ramirez
- Analysis of the Local Stresses at Laser-Welded Lap Joints
Localized stress analysis was conducted on lap joints to better understand their fatigue life.
by K. D. Lee et al.
- Heat Treatment and Yb-Fiber Laser Welding of a Maraging Steel
Laser welding and postweld heat treatment were analyzed for their effect on the weld joint in maraging steel.
by L. Fanton et al.
- Flux-Coating Development for SMAW Consumable Electrode of High-Nickel Alloys
A welding wire was coated with an appropriate composition for shielded metal arc welding of high-nickel alloys.
by K. Sham and S. Liu
- Active Metal Transfer Control by Utilizing Enhanced Droplet Oscillation
Part 1: Experimental Study
A series of enhanced metal transfer experiments were conducted to determine the optimal detaching phase delay.
by J. Xiao et al.
- Influence of Fluid Convection on Weld Pool Formation in Laser Cladding
A 3D transport model was used to examine melt pool formation, fluid convection, and solidification behavior in laser cladding.
by Y. S. Lee et al.
- Hardness–Tensile Property Relationships for HAZ in 6061-T651 Aluminum
This investigation established a relationship between hardness and tensile properties in the heat-affected zone of a 4043 filler metal.
by P. A. Stathers et al.
- MA Study on the Surface Depression of the Molten Pool with Pulsed Welding
Transient simulation indicated surface depression improved penetration.
by M. Yang et al.
- Brazing of CMSX-4 with a Boron- and Silicon-Free Ni-Co-Zr-Hf-Cr-Ti-Al Brazing Alloy
The brittle phases that can occur with boron and silicon are eliminated with the use of a melting point depressant that combines Hf and Zr.
by X. Huang
- Low Transformation Temperature (LTT) Welding Consumables for Residual Stress Management: Consumables Development and Testing Qualification
A welding wire that produced martensitic transformation close to room temperature helped relieve residual stresses and improved fatigue strength.
by T. Alghamdi and S. Liu
- Separation of Arc Plasma and Current in Electrical Arc – An Initial Study
It is demonstrated that the arc plasma and the electron flow that ionized the gas can be separated.
by S. J. Chen et al.
- Modeling of Carbon Steel-Duplex Stainless Steel GTA Weld Pool
The fluid flow and heat transfer of gas tungsten arc welding of carbon steel to duplex stainless steel were numerically simulated.
by A. Bahrami and D. K. Aidun
- Weldability of CMT Joining of AA6061T6 to Boron Steels with Various Coatings
Various coatings were investigated to see which gave the best results for joining a boron steel to aluminum.
by R. Cao et al.
- Gas Metal Arc Welding Enhanced by Using a Pulsed Laser
A pulsed laser whose peak current was synchronized to when a molten droplet was ready to detach offers enhanced metal transfer.
by Y. Shao and Y. M. Zhang
- Pulsed Double-Electrode GMAW-Brazing for Joining of Aluminum to Steel
A novel welding process using two electrodes was examined as an alternative method for joining aluminum to steel.
by Y. Shi et al.
- Dissimilar Resistance Spot Welding of Aluminum to Magnesium with Zn-Coated Steel Interlayers
Spot welds made with a zinc-coated interlayer met strength requirements of AWS standards.
by P. Penner et al.
- Weld-End Solidification Cracking in Pulsed-Tandem Gas Metal Arc Welding of Naval Steels
A pulsed gas metal arc process utilizing tandemly fed electrodes was evaluated as a suitable replacement for conventional processes used in shipbuilding.
by Z. Sterjovski et al.
- Improving Fatigue Performance of Spot Welds in Advanced High-Strength Steels
A systematic investigation was conducted to identify process parameters that improve weld microstructure.
by S. K. Vanimisetti et al.
- Skilled Human Welder Intelligence Modeling and Control: Part II - Analysis and Control Applications
A 3D model of a skilled welder’s response to the weld pool was developed to be used in an intelligent controller.
by Y. K. Liu et al.
- Development of High-Cr, Ni-Based Filler Metals Using Combined Computational and Experimental Techniques
Computational and experimental techniques are combined to provide a methodology for filler metal development.
by E. W. Fusner et al.
- Heat Source Modeling and Analysis of Submerged Arc Welding
This investigation sought to develop a generalized model of the heat source for submerged arc welding.
by D. Podder et al.
- Evaluation of Triangular, Engineered-Shape Ceramic Abrasive in Cutting Discs
A newly developed abrasive disc showed remarkable cutting rates and service life.
by J. Badger
- The Microstructure and Strength of Copper Alloy Brazing Joints
Contact pressure and quantity of filler metal were evaluated as to their influences on the microstructure and strength of brazed joints.
by A. Hasap et al.
- Effect of the Purging Gas on Properties of 304H GTA Welds
A variety of purging gases were tested in welding stainless steel to see their effect on the properties of the joint.
by E. Taban et al.
- Joining 5754 Automotive Aluminum Alloy 2-mm-Thick Sheets Using Ultrasonic Spot Welding
Ultrasonic welding performed at various energy levels on 2-mm
aluminum alloys was evaluated for weldability and shear strength.
by C. Y. Zhang et al.
- Interaction of Gravity Forces in Spot GTA Weld Pool
Fluid flow and heat transfer were investigated in spot welds made with gas tungsten arc welding.
by A. Bahrami et al.
- Solidification of GTA Aluminum Weld Metal: Part 2 - Thermal Conditions and Model for Columnar-to-Equiaxed Transition
The influences of solute content and heat input on weld microstructure were studied.
by P. Schempp et al.
- Improvement of Weldability of 1 GPa Grade Twin-Induced Plasticity Steel
Improvements in spot welding twin-induced plasticity steel in the automotive industry were sought.
by J. Yu et al.
- Quality Level Assessment for Imperfections in GMAW
By processing the images from a vision system through a neural network, an attempt was made to evaluate the quality of gas metal arc welds. by G. Senthil et al.
- Effect of Welding Parameters on the Heat-Affected Zone Hydrogen-Induced Cracking Tendency of a Blast-Resistant Steel
An implant test was used to evaluate BA-160 blast-resistant steel's susceptibility to hydrogen-induced cracking.
by X. Yue et al.
- Welding of Nickel-Based Alloys for Energy Applications
An in-depth look at years of research is provided in this 2013 Adams Lecture.
by J. N. DuPont
- Skilled Human Welder Intelligence Modeling and Control: Part 1 - Modeling
The skills of an experienced welder were used as the foundation for a model to predict fluctuations in the weld pool during gas tungsten arc welding. by Y. K. Liu et al.
- Solidification of GTA Aluminum Weld Metal: Part I - Grain Morphology Dependent upon Alloy Composition and Grain Refiner Content
The influence of grain refiners and welding speed were studied as a means of reducing solidification cracking. by P. Schempp et al.
- Diffusion Brazing Metallurgy of IN718/Ni-Cr-Si-B-Fe/IN718
An investigation was conducted on the effect of microstructure development on the mechanical properties of a nickel-based superalloy. by M. Pouranvari et al.
- Visualization of Gas Flows in Welding Arcs by the Schlieren Measuring Technique
Optical analysis of gas flow is simplified with the Schlieren
method. by E. Siewert et al.
- Wettability by Liquid Metals, Metalization, and Brazing of Barium Titanate Ceramics
A detailed investigation is conducted on the wettability, adhesion, and interaction of perovskite-type ceramics. by T. V. Sydorenko et al.
- Characterization of High-Strength Weld Metal Containing Mg-Bearing Inclusions
A novel flux cored electrode formulation produces a tensile strength of 825 MPa without the addition of titanium or the formation of acicular ferrite. by X. Yue and J. C. Lippold
- Weldability of Niobium-Containing High-Strength Steel for Pipelines
The investigation of high-strength Nb-containing steels reveals an absence of HAZ cold cracking. by I. I. Frantov et al.
Become a Skilled Tradeperson
The demand for most trades is strong and getting stronger. The U.S. Department of Labor forecasts healthy growth in the neighborhood of 8 to 9 percent over the next decade. Jobs associated with building and rebuilding roads, bridges, water, and the power grid are expected to grow by double-digit percentages–faster than the overall economy.