Research Papers - 2013
Research Papers posted are available in PDF format ONLY. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version of the document.
- Spatter and Porosity in Gas-Metal Arc Welding of Magnesium Alloys: Mechanisms and Elimination
The needs of the automotive industry have accelerated research into welding magnesium alloys.
by D. C. Wagner et al.
- Effect of Adhesive Characteristics on the Weld Quality in Weld-Bonding Multiple Steel Sheets
This hybrid joining process was investigated and suggested guidelines for success are provided. by Y. S. Zhang et al.
- Arc Characteristics of Ultrasonic Wave-Assisted GMAW
Experiments with this newly developed welding method produced deep penetration and fine-grain crystallization. by C. L. Fan et al.
- Sensing Dynamic Keyhole Behaviors in Controlled-Pulse Keyholing Plasma Arc Welding
New insight into the dynamics of keyhole behavior and its effect on weld quality is revealed. by Z. M. Liu et al.
- Heat Input Reduction in Fillet Welding Using Bypass and Root Opening
The optimum root opening in a T-joint was sought that was compatible with a submerged arc process using a double electrode. by Y. Lu et al.
- Estimation of Weld Joint Penetration Under Varying GTA Pools
A front-side vision system was aided in determining joint penetration by a neuro-fuzzy model.
by Y. K. Liu et al.
- Contribution of Phosphorus and Sulfuron Hot Cracking Susceptibility for Extra-High-Purity 25Cr-35Ni Stainless Steels
It was found that the addition of low levels of lanthanum to a high- purity stainless steel reduced hot cracking susceptibility. by K. Saida et al.
- Microstructure Analysis of Brazed Sapphire to Inconel® 600 Using Porous Interlayer
Experimentation with a porous Cu/Ni composite interlayer was conducted to evaluate its effectiveness in producing a sound brazed joint. by T. Zaharinie et al.
- Simplified Mathematical Modeling of Implant Limit Stress and Maximum HAZ Hardness
Two simplified models were developed to predict hydrogen-induced cracking in high-strength steel weldments. by A. Fotouh et al.
- Application of Friction Stir Processing as a Pretreatment to Fusion Welding
Improvements in the heat-affected zone and weld metal microstructure were achieved with nickel-based alloys. by J. R. Rule et al.
- Influences of Laser Spot on High-Speed Welding for Cr-Plated Sheet
The development of a suitable elongated spot pattern improved welding speed and joint quality on thin chrome-plated sheet. by J. Zhan and M. J. Yang
- Supermartensitic Stainless Steel Deposits: Effects of Shielding Gas and Postweld Heat Treatment
Increasing the CO2 content in the shielding gas had a marked effect on tensile strength, hardness, and toughness. by S. Zappa et al.
- Effect of Tempering Pass on HSLA-80 Steel HAZ Microstructures
The microstructure and hardness of the grain-coarsened HAZ were analyzed after being subjected to simulated thermal cycling meant to represent tempering passes. by A. Cruz-Crespo et al.
- Neural Network Model for Recognizing Joint Offset During Fiber Laser Welding
A model is proposed to recognize the weld joint offset based on the molten pool feature parameters. by X. D. Gao et al.
- Heat Input and the Liquation Cracking of Laser Welded IN738LC Superalloy
The susceptibility to liquation cracking decreased with increasing heat input and peak power in both the conduction and keyhole welding modes. by M. Montazeri et al.
- Quantifying Heat-Affected Zone Hydrogen-Induced Cracking in High-Strength Naval Steels
Researchers used the implant test to compare a recently developed blast-resistant steel to two existing naval steels. by X. Yue et al.
- Feasibility of Cold-Metal-Transfer Welding Magnesium AZ31 to Galvanized Mild Steel
It was learned cold-metal-transfer welding of magnesium to steel is possible if the steel has a zinc coating. by R. Cao et al.
- Microstructure and Wear Properties of Fe-2 wt-% Cr-X wt-% W-0.67 wt-% C Hardfacing Layer
Hardfacing electrodes with different levels of tungsten were tested to determine which displayed the best hardness and wear resistance. by J. Yang et al.
- Shunting Effect in Resistance Spot Welding Steels - Part 2: Theoretical Analysis
An analytical model was developed to study the effects of weld spacing and welding parameters on shunting. by Y. B. Li et al.
- Three-Dimensional Simulation of Underwater Welding and Investigation of Effective Parameters
Using heat transfer equations, thermal history curves and cooling time for a wet underwater weld were obtained. by P. Ghadimi et al.
- Vacuum-Assisted Laser Welding of Zinc-Coated Steels in a Gap-Free Lap Joint Configuration
A stabilized keyhole allowed zinc vapors to escape in laser welding of zinc-coated steels. by S. Yang et al.
- Active Droplet Oscillation Excited by Optimized Waveform
Active droplet oscillation is studied as a means of droplet detachment at peak currents lower than the transitional current. by J. Xiao et al.
- High-Temperature Corrosion Behavior of Alloy 600 and 622 Weld Claddings and Coextruded Coatings
Thermogravimetric and solid-state testing demonstrated better corrosion resistance with Alloy 622 under simulated gaseous conditions. by J. N. DuPont et al.
- Full Reality vs. Integrated Virtual Reality Training in Welding
Virtual reality is shown to be an effective method of teaching when combined with traditional welder training. by R. T. Stone et al.
- Sources of Variation in Ferrite Number Predictions vs. Measurements
Chemical analysis variability is shown to be a critical factor in ferrite prediction. by D. J. Kotecki and Z. Zhang
- Shunting Effect in Resistance Spot Welding Steels - Part 1: Experimental Study
The most influential variables on shunting in resistance welding are pinpointed. by B. Wang et al.
- Monitoring and Control of Penetration in GTAW and Pipe Welding
A novel method is proposed that uses arc voltage to predict penetration based on the dynamic development of the weld pool. by X. R. Li et al.
- Prediction of σ-Phase Embrittlement in Type 316FR Weld Metal
The weldability of an advanced stainless steel developed for the harsh service environment of a fast breeder reactor was investigated. by E. J. Chun et al.
- Microstructural Evolution and Mechanical Properties of Simulated Heat-Affected Zones in an Iron-Copper Based Multicomponent Steel
The HAZ mechanical properties were studied in the welds of ultra high-strength NUCu-140 precipitation hardened steel. by J. D. Farren et al.
- Preliminary Investigation on Ultrasonic-Assisted Brazing of Titanium and Titanium/Stainless Steel Joints
The fracture behavior of dissimilar joints made with an ultrasonic-assisted induction heating system were explored. by A. Elrefaey et al.
- Dynamic Control of the GTAW Process Using a Human Welder Response Model
The sensory system of a human welder was used as a model for intelligent welding systems. by W. J. Zhang and Y. M. Zhang
- Evaluation of Susceptibility of Alloy IN740 to HAZ Stress-Relaxation Cracking
Three different alloys were evaluated at three different temperatures to establish modeling predictions. by J. E. Ramirez
- Reducing the Porosity in Die-Cast Magnesium Alloys during Laser Welding
The factors that cause porosity in magnesium alloys were evaluated to develop a control strategy. by J. Zhang et al.
- The Weld Heat-Affected Zone Liquation Cracking Susceptibility of Naval Steels
Four high-strength steels developed for naval applications were assessed for their susceptibility to heat-affected zone liquation cracking. by J. L. Caron et al.
- Magnetically Assisted Resistance Spot Welding of Dual-Phase Steel
Two modes of external magnetic fields were studied to evaluate which improved resistance spot welding. by Y. B. Li et al.
- Transient Liquid Phase Diffusion Brazing of Stainless Steel 304
A copper interlayer was used in brazing austenitic stainless steel to address the concerns of brittle intermetallic compound formation. by M. Mazar Atabaki et al.
- Porosity, Element Loss, and Strength Model on Softening Behavior of Hybrid Laser Arc Welded Al-Zn-Mg-Cu Alloy with Synchrotron Radiation Analysis
A new model was developed after analyzing weld softening produced with a hybrid welding system on age-hardened alloys. by S. C. Wu et al.
- Fabrication and Characterization of Graded Transition Joints for Welding Dissimilar Alloys
A dual-wire gas tungsten arc welding system was used in this experiment in joining ferritic low-alloy steels to austenitic alloys. by G. J. Brentrup and J. N. DuPont
- Effect of Postweld Heat Treatment on the Toughness of Heat-Affected Zone for Grade 91 Steel
Recommendations are offered on procedures to improve heataffected zone toughness in Grade 91 ferritic steels. by B. Silwal et al.
- GMA Brazing of Galvannealed Interstitial-Free Steel
A unique process that combines gas metal arc welding and brazing was applied to joining a new generation of automotive steel. by S. Basak et al.
- New Optical Filter Plate for Use as Eye Protection by Welders
Goggles that provide eye protection with greater general visibility were investigated. by A. Langa-Moraga et al.
- Tool Design Effects for FSW of AA7039
Experiments were conducted with threaded tool geometries to evaluate the mechanical properties of friction stir welded AA7039. by D. Venkateswarlu et al.
- Penetration Depth Monitoring and Control in Submerged Arc Welding
Research was conducted to find a reliable way to control weld penetration to eliminate the backgouging step in two-sided welding in shipbuilding. by X. R. Li et al.
- Interfacial Microstructure of Diode Laser Brazed AZ31B Magnesium to Steel Sheet Using a Nickel Interlayer
The brazeability of a magnesium alloy to steel was improved with an electro-deposited microlayer of Ni. by A. M. Nasiri et al.
- Processing Effects on the Friction Stir Weld Stir Zone
The understanding of the correlation between microstructural evolution and the varying thermomechanical cycles a weld undergoes is further advanced with this study. by J. Schneider et al.
- Evaluation of Heat-Affected Zone Hydrogen-Induced Cracking in Navy Steels
Critical stress ratio and embrittlement index were determined for high-strength steels in an evaluation of hydrogen-induced cracking in the heat-affected zone. by X. Yue and J. C. Lippold