Research Papers - 2012
Research Papers posted are available in PDF format ONLY. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version of the document.
- Development of an Oxyrutile Electrode for Wet Welding
An experimental electrode developed for underwater welding showed improved weld metal properties. BY V. R. Santos et al.
- Modeling of Human Welder Response to 3D Weld Pool Surface: Part II &ndaash; Results and Analysis
An initiative was made to develop a model that simulates a human welder's response to a weld pool in an effort to improve intelligent robotic systems. BY W. J. Zhang and Y. M. Zhang
- Theoretical and Empirical Validation of a Mobile Robotic Welding Platform
A mobile robot welding system was investigated to expand the use of robots for nontraditional fabrication of large products such as ships. BY J. Stacy and S. Canfield
- Double Stage Plasma Arc Pipe Welding Process
A plasma arc system that utilized both the keyhole and conduction modes was used to produce a desirable root weld in pipe. BY X. R. Li et al.
- Fluid Flow and Solidification in Welding: Three Decades of Fundamental Research at the University of Wisconsin
More than 30 years of basic research brings a fuller understanding of the characteristics of the weld pool and its solidification. BY S. Kou
- Failure Mode Transition in AISI 304 Resistance Spot Welds
The failure mechanism of resistance spot welding was examined by both experimental and theoretical means. BY M. Pouranvari and S. P. H. Marashi
- Modeling of Human Welder Response to 3D Weld Pool Surface: Part I – Principles
Modeling a human welder's behavior may bring about improvements in developing intelligent robotic welding systems. BY W. J. Zhang and Y. M. Zhang
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Using an Arcing Wire
A unique method is devised to improve the deposition rate for gas tungsten arc welding. BY J. S. Chen et al.
- Numerical Analysis of a High-Frequency Induction Welded Pipe
An investigation was conducted to establish the best parameters for high-frequency longitudinal welding of pipe. BY Y. Han and E. L. Yu
- Second Pulse Current in Resistance Spot Welded TRIP Steel – Effects on the Microstructure and Mechanical Behavior
This study resulted in improved mechanical properties for spot welding of TRIP sheet steel. BY V. H. Baltazar Hernandez et al.
- Study on Vacuum Brazing of Glass to Kovar® Alloy with Cu-Ni-Sn-P
The best time and temperature combination for optimum shear strength was determined. BY Z. Zhong et al.
- Selecting Processes to Minimize Hexavalent Chromium from Stainless Steel Welding
Different welding processes were studied to see which offered the least exposure to hexavalent chromium. BY M. Keane et al.
- Estimating the Cooling Rates of a Spot Welding Nugget in Stainless Steel
A good-performing hardfacing layer was obtained by adding varying amounts of ferrotitanium into flux cored wire. BY Y. Zhang et al.
- Design Considerations of Graded Transition Joints for Welding Dissimilar Alloys
Models were developed to help predict the performance of dissimilar welds between ferritic and austenitic alloys using a composite material in the joint. BY G. J. Brentrup et al.
- Effect of the Consumable on the Properties of Gas Metal Arc Welded EN 1.4003-Type Stainless Steel
A modified 12% Cr ferritic stainless steel was welded with three different consumables, then samples underwent tensile, bend, and Charpy impact toughness testing. BY E. Taban et al.
- Continuous Drive Friction Welding of AI/SiC Composite and AISI 1030
Studies showed an aluminum matrix composite and AISI 1030 steel can be joined through friction welding. BY S. ÇelÌk and D. Güneş
- Effect of Titanium Content on Microstructure and Wear Resistance of Fe-Cr-C Hardfacing Layers
A good-performing hardfacing layer was obtained by adding varying amounts of ferrotitanium into flux cored wire. BY Y. F. Zhou et al.
- Scaling Thermocapillary Weld Pool Shape and Transport Variables in Metals
Molten pool shape and thermocapillary convection were predicted from scale analysis. BY P. S. Wei and H. J. Liu
- Characterization of Three-Dimensional Weld Pool Surface in GTAW
An innovative vision system was tested to give backside bead width for determining weld penetration. BY W. Zhang et al.
- Identifying Performance Differences in Transmissive and Reflective Laser Optics Using Beam Diagnostic Tools
The changes in properties of laser beams delivered using transmissive and reflective optic systems were characterized. BY J. Blecher et al.
- Strain-Age Cracking Susceptibility of Ni-Based Superalloys as a Function of Strain Rate, Temperature, and Alloy Composition
Variables in welding three gamma-prime-strengthened superalloys were examined for their influence on cracking susceptibility. BY D. A. Metzler
- Improvement of Formation Quality for Friction Stir Welded Joints
Ambient temperature and the direction of stirring tool were studied for their relationship to weld quality. BY R.-D. Fu et al.
- Artificial Neural Network Prediction of Weld Geometry Performed Using GMAW with Alternating Shielding Gases
A model was developed to predict weld geometry under different shielding gases. BY S. W. Campbell et al.
- Effects of Welding Direction and Position on Susceptibility to Weld Metal Transverse Cracking in Welding High-Strength Pipeline Steel with Cellulosic Electrodes
Research was conducted to find whether factors other than preheat and weld strength had a role in transverse cracking. BY S. Sarafan et al.
- Reagent Selection in Austenitic Stainless Steel Solidification Modes Characterization
This research compared eight different reagents to determine which produced the best results for microstructural characterization of solidification modes. BY M. A. Valiente Bermejo
- Nonlinear Modeling of Dynamic Metal Transfer in Laser-Enhanced GMAW
Estimating an improved laser recoil pressure force aided development of a modified nonlinear model. BY Y. Huang et al.
- Analysis of Thermal Cycle during Multipass Arc Welding
A new method is proposed to account for convection and radiation heat loss from the plate surface during multipass gas tungsten arc welding. BY C. S. Pathak et al.
- Weldability of Aluminum Alloys with High-Power Diode Laser
By controlling the experimental variables, butt joints were produced with higher penetration than previously reported for the conduction regime. BY J. M. Sánchez-Amaya et al.
- Arc Characteristics in Pulsed-GMA Welding with Acute Groove Angles
The characteristics of a joint tracking sensor were monitored under conditions of different groove angles and root openings. BY R-H. Kim et al.
- Design of Experiment and Goal Programming Application for the GMAW Process
This study was conducted to determine critical gas metal arc welding variables and ways to optimize them. BY Y. T. Iç et al.
- Predictive and Measurement Methods for Delta Ferrite Determination in Stainless Steels
The advantages and limitations of predictive measurement methods for δ ferrite are outlined. BY M. A. Valiente Bermejo
- Susceptibility of IN740 to HAZ Liquation Cracking and Ductility-Dip Cracking
Conditions that lead to cracking susceptibility of nickel-based IN740 were simulated to determine an action for its prevention. BY J. E. Ramirez
- Continuous Cooling Transformation Behavior in the CGHAZ of Naval Steels
Transformation diagrams were developed for the coarse-grain heat-affected zone of HSLA-65, HSLA-100, and HY-100 steels. BY X. Yue et al.
- Developing an Alternative Heat Indexing Equation for FSW
A heat transfer model was developed to help predict the correlation between weld tool geometry and process parameters. BY J. A. Querin and J. A. Schneider
- Improving Supermartensitic Stainless Steel Weld Metal Toughness
Experiments were conducted to achieve weld metal toughness improvements through varying postweld heat treatments. BY S. Zappa et al.
- Ultrasonic Wave Assisted GMAW
Metal transfer showed improvement with the application of an auxiliary detaching force. BY Y. Y. Fan et al.
- Partial Transient Liquid Phase Diffusion Brazing of Copper-Beryllium Alloy (C17200) Using Silver-Based Interlayer
Brazing was conducted at different temperatures under argon and vacuum to determine the effect on mechanical properties. BY M. M. Atabaki
- Fatigue Behavior of Electron Beam Welded Dissimilar Metal Joints
Good welds between 4140 and 316L were achieved. BY A. Çalik et al.
- Fracture Toughness of Simulated Heat-Affected Zones in NUCu-140 Steel
The relationship between changes in copper precipitates during welding and differences in impact toughness were investigated. BY B. M. Leister and J. N. DuPont
- Adhesive Placement in Weld-Bonding Multiple Stacks of Steel Sheets
The critical nature of adhesive placement in the weld-bonding process was studied. BY J. Shen et al.
- Ultrasonic Soldering of Shape Memory NiTi to Aluminum 2024
A way to retain the characteristics of a shape-memory alloy NiTi when it is welded is investigated. BY R. Hahnlen, G. Fox, and M. Dapino
- An Evaluation of the Cross-Tension Test of Resistance Spot Welds in High-Strength Dual-Phase Steels
An examination of the cross-tension test questions its reliability in determining loading in actual crash conditions. BY D. J. Radakovic and M. Tumuluru
- Effects of FSW Parameters on Joint Properties of AlMg3 Alloy
The effects of tilt angle, rotation direction, and axial pressure of the tool on the properties of a friction stir welded joint are evaluated. BY Z. Barlas and U. Ozsarac
- Joining Aluminum Sheet in the Automotive Industry – A 30 Year History
An overview of joining technology in the automobile industry touches on resistance welding, mechanical fasteners, and ultrasonic welding. BY J. E. Gould
Become a Skilled Tradeperson
The demand for most trades is strong and getting stronger. The U.S. Department of Labor forecasts healthy growth in the neighborhood of 8 to 9 percent over the next decade. Jobs associated with building and rebuilding roads, bridges, water, and the power grid are expected to grow by double-digit percentages–faster than the overall economy.