Research Papers - 2010
Research Papers posted are available in PDF format ONLY. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version of the document.
- Cathodic Cleaning of Oxides from Aluminum Surface by Variable-Polarity Arc
A high-speed camera is usexcd to capture in real-time the mechanism of cathodic cleaning of aluminum. BY R. Sarrafi and R. Kovacevic
- Double-Sided Arc Welding of AA5182-O Aluminum Sheet for Tailor Welded Blank Applications
The feasibility of using a plasma arc welding torch above and a gas tungsten arc orch below to join AA5182-O aluminum sheet was investigated. BY J. A. Moulton and D. C. Weckman
- Characterization of Welding Fume Generated by High-Mn Consumables
Welding fume particles and agglomerates from SMAW and FCAW hardfacing electrodes were collected and analyzed. BY M. J. Gonser et al.
- Welding of Hydrogen-Charged Steel for Modification
The effects of hydrogen in welds were expolored and safe welding practices recommended. BY R. J. Pargeter and M. D. Wright
- Effect of Pulse Current on Shrinkage Stress and Distortion in Multipass GMA Welds of Different Groove Sizes
The effects of welding parameters, thermal behavior, and groove size on shrinkage stress and distortion were evaluated. BY P. K. Ghosh, K. Devakumaran, and A. K. Pramanick
- SMAW, FCAW, and SAW High-Strength Ferritic Deposits: The Challenge is Tensile Properties
The mechanical properties of welds in high-strength steel were analyzed and compared. BY E. S. Surian et al.
- Microstructural Changes in Grade 22 Ferritic Steel Clad Successively with Ni-Based and 9Cr Filler Metals
A nickel-based interlayer is demonstrated to prevent hard and soft zone formation during postweld treatment. BY R. Anand et al.
- Development of a Time-Resolved Energy Absorption Measurement Technique for Laser Beam Spot Welds
The mapping of energy transfer and melting efficiency helps in the selection of welding parameters and pulse shape design. BY J. T. Norris et al.
- Characterization of Welding Fume from SMAW Electrodes - Part II
This study slassifies fume particles into three distinct morphologies and characterizes each according to composition and structure. BY J. W. Sowards et al.
- Effects of Baking on the Structure and Properties of Resistance Spot Welds in 780 MPa Dual-Phase and TRIP Steels
The effects of the paint-baking process on the tensile shear strength and microstructure off resistance spot welds in dual-phase and TRIP steels is evaluated. BY M. Tumuluru
- Spot Resistance Welding of a Titanium/Nickel Joint with Filler Metal
Using a filler metal proved to increase the strength of titanium/nickel spot brazed joints. BY H. Zuhailawati et al.
- Microstructural Characterization of Bonding Interfaces in Aluminum 3003 Blocks Fabricated by Ultrasonic Additive Manufacturing
Methods were examined to link microstructure and linear weld density to the mechanical properties of ultrasonic additive manufacturing. BY D. E. Schick et al.
- Measurement and Estimation of Weld Pool Surface Depth and Weld Penetration in Pulsed Gas Metal Arc Welding
The relationship between a change in weld pool surface depth and a change in arc voltage during pulsed gas metal arc welding was analyzed. BY Z. Wang et al.
- Residual Stresses in Weld Thermal Cycle Simulated Specimens of X70 Pipeline Steel
Satoh testing was used to assess residual stresses in weldments in X70 pipeline steel. BY M. I. Onsøien et al.
- Effects of Nb, V, and W on Microstructure and Abrasion Resistance of Fe-Cr-C Hardfacing Alloys
Different compositions in self-shielded flux cored electrodes were tested to determine the best formula for wear-resistant deposits. BY Q. Wang and X. Li
- Hybrid Laser Arc Welding Process Evaluation on DH36 and EH36 Steel
Experiments were conducted to determine the most effective arc and laser power for hybrid welding of DH36 and EH36. BY C. Roepke et al.
- Effect of Continuous Cooling Transformation Variations on Numerical Calculation of Welding-Induced Residual Stresses
Variations in continuous cooling transformation behavior were studied to find their influence on welding-induced residual stress. BY J. Caron et al.
- Evaluation of Amplitude Stepping in Ultrasonic Welding
The use of amplitude stepping resulted in higher strength values compared to the use of a constant amplitude. BY M. Baboi and D. Grewell
- Robotic Shielded Metal Arc Welding
Arobotic welding process for shielding metal arc welding was developed and validated. BY E.J. Lima and A.Q. Bracarense
- Materials Transfer in Electro-Spark Deposition of TiCp/Ni Metal-Matrix Composite Coating on Cu Substrate
Model of electro-spark deposition, a microwelding process, were developed to detail the events taking place during a single deposition in static and dynamic modes. BY S.K. Tang, T.C Nguyen, and Y. Zhou
- Laser-Enhanced GMAW
A laser beam is used to generate an auxiliary detaching force for droplet transfer in gas metal arc welding. BY Y. Huang and Y.M. Zhang
- Characteristic Temperature Curves for Aluminum Alloys during Friction Stir Welding
Maximum welding temperatures were estimated for Sc-modified Al-Zn-Mg-Cu extrusions. BY C. Hamilton et al.
- Using Infrared Thermography in Low-Cycle Fatigue Studies of Welded Joints
Low-cycle fatigue was analyzed in A516 Grade 70 steel and its weld joints. BY V. Crupi et al.
- A New Method for the Design of Welding Consumables
A combination of physical and mathematical models may speed the development of new electrode formulas. BY D. S. Tordonato et al.
- Hot Ductility Behavior and Repair Weldability of Service-Aged, Heat-Resistant Stainless Steel Castings
The behavior of HP-Nb modified and 20-32Nb alloys under simulated repair welding thermal cycles was investigated. BY S. Shi et al.
- Seam Welding Monitoring System Based on Real-Time Electrical Signal Analysis
A novel weld quality sensing system is characterized by speed and sensitivity to faults in seam welding. BY M. Lanzoni et al.
- A Control System for Keyhole Plasma Arc Welding of Stainless Steel Plates with Medium Thickness
A welding current waveform was developed to improve controllability of keyhole dynamics for plasma arc welding. BY C. S. Wu et al.
- Effect of Welding Parameters and Electrode Condition on Alloying Enrichment of Weld Metal Deposited with
Coated Cellulosic Electrodes
Arc length, weld length, and the dried condition of cellulosic electrodes were found to have a primary effect on the chemical composition of deposited weld metals. BY J. E. Ramirez and M. Johnson
- Comparison of Control Algorithms for Ultrasonic Welding of Aluminum
This study compares three control modes for ultrasonic metal welding: energy, post height, and time. BY M. Baboi and D. Grewell
- Investigations of Sn-9Zn-Ag-Ga-Al-Ce Solder Wetted on Cu, Advertiser Index Au/Ni/Cu, and
Sn-plated Cu Substrates
Zinc-containing, lead-free solders may prove useful in the electronics industry.
BY H. Wang et al.
- Tool Degradation Characterization in the Friction Stir Welding of Hard Metals
Degradation mechanisms were identified for three tungsten-based tool materials for friction stir welding of hard met. BY B. Thompson and S.S. Babu
- Hydrocarbon Contamination and Diffusible Hydrogen Levels in Shielded Metal Arc Weld Deposits
Hydrocarbon contamination of low-hydrogen basic SMAW electrodes was investigated. BY B.M. Patchett and M.A.R. Yarmuch