Research Papers - 1990
Research Papers posted are available in PDF format ONLY. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version of the document.
- Electromagnetic Stirring and Grain Refinement in Stainless Steel GTA Welds
An investigation into the influence of weld metal composition on columnar-to-equiaxed transition in full-penetration welds. BY J. C. Villafuerte and H. W. Kerr
- Microalloying Additions and HAZ Fracture Toughness in HSLA Steels
CTOD toughness of various structural steels is influenced by Ti, V and Nb coupled with heat inputl. BY G. R. Wang, et al.
- Thermocapillary Flow in Pulsed Laser Beam Weld Pools
A model determines heat flow within the various stages of the weld pool formation. BY A. J. Russo, et al.
- High-Mn Steel Weldment Mechanical Properties
An investigation correlates cryogenic mechanical property variations with changes in weld microstructure and chemistry. BY J. W. Chan, et al.
- Titanium Aluminide: Electron Beam Weldability
High-quality welds were produced with careful parameter control. BY R. A. Patterson, et al.
- Electrode Geometry in Resistance Spot Welding
Mathematical model helps determine the efficiency of truncated-cone and pimple-tipped electrodes. BY R. J. Bowers, et al.
- Effect of Electromagnetic Stirring on GTA Welds in Austenitic Stainless Steel
Experimentation shows a magnetic field can alter bead width, joint penetration and grain
refinement. BY M. Malinowski-Brodnicka, et al.
- The Microstructure and Corrosion Resistance of Nickel-Based Filler Metals with High Chromium Contents
Three filler metals proposed for joining Inconel and stainless steels promise very good corrosion resistance. BY C. L. Briant and E. L. Hall
- Electrochemically Generated Oxygen Contamination in Submerged Arc Welding
Study reveals the influence of polarity on oxygen levels in the welds. BY A. Polar, et al.
- The Effect of the Welding Process on the Fatigue Crack Growth
Investigation bolsters the accuracy of fracture mechanics testing on high-strength steel. BY T. Lassen
- Computerized Radiographic Sensing and Control of an Arc Welding Process
Radiography provides an in-process quality check as well as a sensing device for process control. BY S. I. Rokhlin and A. C. Guu
- Preliminary Study on Pressure Brazing and Diffusion Welding of Nb-lZr to Inconel 718
A Ni-based metallic glass foil shows promise of producing sound joints for 1000-K service. BY T. J. Moore
- Sensing of GMAW Droplet Transfer Modes Using an ER 100S-1 Electrode
Evaluation of a microcomputer's capability to analyze current-voltage signals at the arc for process control. BY G. Adam and T. A. Siewert
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding of Al-Li-Cu Alloy 2090
Welding parameters, including preweld and postweld conditions, are established for successfully joining Alloy 2090. BY M. Ramulu and M. P. Rubbert
- Effect of Welding Flux Additions on 4340 Steel Weld Metal Composition
The addition of CaF, CaO and FeO to a Mn-Si flux system affects weld metal chemistry. BY P. A. Burck, et al.
- Joint Preparation for Electron Beam Welding Thin Aluminum Alloy 5083
Premachining parts proved effective in reducing weld porosity. BY J. L. Murphy, et al.
- Weldability and Microstructure of a Titanium Aluminide
Evaluation showed excellent resistance to hot cracking, but a tendency to solid-state cracking. BY S. A. David, et al.
- Measuring the Residual Ferrite Content of Rapidly Solidfied Stainless Steel Alloys
A new technique measures residual ferrite in very fine microstructures. BY J. W. Elmer and T. W. Eagar
- The Influence of Boron and Titanium on Low-Carbon Steel Weld Metal
Boron has little effect on weld microstructure without the addition of titanium. BY D. W. Oh, et al.
- A Composite Modeling Analysis of Impression Creep Testing on Heterogeneous Materials
A special indentation test determines creep properties within discrete microstructural zones. BY M. A. Lisin, et al.
- The Transition from Shallow to Deep Penetration during Electron Beam Welding
Parameters that control the geometric shape of the fusion zone in EB welds were investigated. BY J. W. Elmer, etal.
- Experimental Measurement of Liquid Nugget Heat Convection in Spot Welding
Examination of convection patterns in an AC spot weld reveals a phenomenon contrary to
present theories. BY S. K. Chatterjee et al.
- Monitoring Joint Penetration Using Infrared Sensing Techniques
Infrared thermal imaging techniques are used to monitor bead width and joint penetration. BY W. Chen and B. A. Chin
- Simultaneous In-Process Control of Heat-Affected Zone and Cooling Rate during Arc Welding
In-process control of heat input offers a way of modifying weld microstructure
during welding. BY C. C. Doumanidis and D. E. Hardt
- Weld Ductility Studies of a Tin-Modified Copper-Nickel Alloy
Studies pinpoint shielding gas and alloying elements that improve ductility. BY M. Tumuluru
E. F. Nippes
- 4 K Properties of High-Nitrogen Stainless Steel Weldments
Weld metal strength is affected by nitrogen additions. BY T. Ogawa, et al.
- Assessing Hydrogen-Assisted Cracking Fracture Modes in High-Strength Steel Weldments
A study shows that high hydrogen content increases the chance of fracture. BY S. A. Gedeon and T. W. Eagar
- Underbead Cracking in Cladding Deposited with ER320 and ER320LR Stainless Steel Consumables
A reduction of the C content prevents grain boundary liquation crackings. BY T. Kasugai, et al.
- Solderability Testing of Kovar with 60Sn-40Pb Solder and Organic Fluxes
The effects of flux type, cleaning procedure and solder bath temperature were examined. BY T. Vianco
- Electromagnetic-Force-Induced Convection in Weld Pools with a Free Surface
Predicting heat transfer, fluid flow and pool shape in GTA welds. BY M. C. Tsai and S. Kou
- Analysis and Characterization of Commercial Welding Fluxes
Methods of analyzing welding fluxes are evaluated for range and accuracy. BY T. A. Siewert
and G. L. Franke
- Control of GMAW: Detection of Discontinuities in the Weld Pool
An ultrasonic system is used as a sensor to adaptively control welding variable. BY N. M. Carlson, et al.
- Thermomechanical Analysis of Hydrogen Absorption in Welding
A new model on hydrogen absorption addresses phenomena that previous theory did not explain. BY S. A. Gedeon and T. W. Eagar
- Laser Beam Welding: Thermal Profiles and HAZ Hardness
A model is developed for predicting HAZ hardness in laser beam welds. BY E. A. Metzbower
- Tests on Specimens Taken from a Simulated Weld Strain-Affected Zone
The area most susceptible to strain hardening in weld metal is revealed. BY T. Toyooka
- Elemental Effects on GTA Spot Weld Penetration in Cast Alloy 718
The effect of alloying or impurity elements on weld pool surface tension in a superalloy is examined. BY R. A. Spicer
- A Study of GTA Weld Pool Oscillation
Joint penetration may be controlled using arc oscillation behavior. BY Y. H. Xiao and G. den Ouden
- Fatigue Crack Growth and Retardation in the Welded HAZ of 4140 Steel
Insight into the influence of retardation on crack growth makes calculating service life easier. BY J. K. Lim and R. I. Stephens
- The Dislocation Density of Acicular Ferrite in Steel Welds
An estimate of dislocation density's contribution to acicular ferrite strength. BY J. R. Yang
and H. K. D. H. Bhadeshia
- A Study on the Shunt Effect in Resistance Spot Welding
Analytic model predicts the effect of the shunt phenomenon on nugget growth. BY H. S. Chang and H. S. Cho
- Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Electroslag Welds in Ti-6AI-4V Alloy
Causes for ductility losses in electroslag welded titanium are isolated. BY S. J. Chen and J. H. Devletian
- Nature of Grain Refinement in Titanium Alloy Welds by Microcooler Inoculation
Inoculating welds with titanium powder proves successful as a grain refiner. BY D. L. Hallum
and W. A. Baeslack III
- Finite Element Analysis of Interlayer Welds Loaded in Tension
Stress and strain are analyzed for thin interlayer weld. BY G. A. Henshall, et al.
- Modeling of High-Current Arcs with Emphasis on Free Surface Phenomena in the Weld Pool
Tests indicate that "standard" postulations about weld pool behavior under high-current arcs may need to be revised. BY R. T. C. Choo, et al.
- Quantitative Investigation of Heat-Affected Zone Cracking in Aluminum Alloy A6061
Investigation presents a clearer picture of the causes of HAZ cracking in Al-Mg-Si alloys. BY M. Miyazaki, et al.
- Microstructure Investigation of Copper-Tin Intermetallics and the Influence of Layer Thickness on Shear Strength
Low-tin solders are preferred for critical high-temperature applications. BY S. Brandi, C. Taniguchi and S.Liu
- Mechanism of Tough-Pitch Copper Embrittlement by Silver Brazing Alloys
Zinc and cadmium play a role in grain boundary embrittlemen. BY R. Gabbay, et al.
- Characterization of Spatter in Low-Current GMAW of Titanium Alloy Plate
A cathode spot on the base metal causes low-current spatte. BY S. T. Eickhoff and T. W. Eagar
- Classification of AE Signals for Monitoring Martensite Formation from Welding
Real-time detection of martensite formation is feasible with acoustic emission technique. BY X. Liu and E. Kannatey-Asibu, Jr.
- Fatigue Life Prediction for Low-Tin Lead-Based Solder at Low Strains
Intergranular fracture at low strains is experimentally investigated and a prediction model is
developed. BY S. Vaynman and A. Zubelewicz
- Effect of Second Phase Particles on Direct Brazing of Alumina Dispersion Hardened Copper
A prebraze barrier coat reduces embrittlement. BY A. A. McFayden, et al.
- Effect of Shielding Gas Oxygen Activity on Weld Metal Microstructure of GMA Welded Microalloyed HSLA Steel
Produce the desired weld with the right combination of shielding gas, welding wire and heat input. BY R. E. Francis, et al.
- Development of New Active Filler Metals in a Ag-Cu-Hf System
Braze nonoxide ceramics to themselves or steel with Hf-containing active filler metals.
BY E. Lugscheider and W. Tillmann
- Rene 220C—The New, Weldable, Investment Cast Superalloy
Rene 220C outperforms Alloy 718 from a weldability and mechanical properties standpoint.
BY T. J. Kelly
- Heat-Affected Zone Toughness of SMA Welded 12%Cr Martensitic-Ferritic Steels
Limiting grain size increases HAZ toughness. BY T. G. Gooch and B. J. Ginn
- Automatic Single V-Groove Welding Utilizing Infrared Images for Error Detection and Correction
Infrared thermography is used for joint tracking in robotic GTA welding. BY K. N. Groom, et al.
- Effect of Electrochemical Reactions on Submerged Arc Weld Metal Compositions
The importance of slag/metal reactions is clarified. BY J. H. Kim, et al.
- Microstructure and Impact Toughness of C-Mn Weld Metals
An investigation pinpoints the right combinations of C and Mn for optimum impact toughness. BY L-E. Svensson and B. Gretof
- Brazing of Titanium Using Low-Melting-Point Ti-Based Filler Metals
New amorphous foil allows brazing below the transformation temperature. BY T. Onzawa, et al.
- A Study of the Stress Concentration Factor on Spot Welds
Using a three-dimensional model, stress distribution under tensile shear load is analyzed. BY J-H. Kuang and A-H. Liu