Certification Application Portal – General Information for CWI Program
Candidates applying through the Certification Application Portal for a certification exam, retest, renewal, or recertification MUST prepare their documentation prior to starting the online application submittal process.
Please be aware that the only acceptable payment method available through the portal is credit card.
All Applicants Are Required to Upload the Following Documents During the Application Process. Do Not Proceed with Application If All of The Following Required Documentation Is Not Available for Digital Upload:
- Proof of Identity – You will be required to upload a copy of an official government passport or national ID (driver’s license for example) in PDF format during the application process.
- 2x2 Photo – Review the Photo ID Requirements. You will be required to upload your photo in JPG format during the application process.
- Visual Acuity Form – Download and complete the Visual Acuity Form. An eye examination must be administered by an Ophthalmologist, Optometrist, Medical Doctor, Registered Nurse or Certified Physician’s Assistant. You will be required to upload this form in PDF format during the application process.
- ADA (when applicable) – Download and complete the ADA Disability Accommodations form. You will be required to upload this form in PDF format during the application process if requesting special accommodations.
Click on the menu item below that corresponds to your certification level (Initial, Retest or Renewal/Recertification) for specific information that must also be supplied on your application.
CWI Initial Applicants
- Qualifying Work Experience — You will be required to enter relative work experience which is applicable to the CWI program. Candidates may need to enter more than one employer; therefore, please make sure that you have the following information ready for each employer entered:
- Company Name
- Company Phone Number
- Company Business Type
- Company Street Address
- Company City
- Supervisor’s Name
- Supervisor’s Email
- Title of Supervisor
- Applicant’s Job Title
- Employment Start Date
- Job Responsibilities
- Employment Verification — Download and complete the Employment Verification Form. This form must be completed by your most recent employer. You will be required to upload this form in PDF format during the application process.
- Education (when applicable) — Candidates who are substituting work experience will be required to upload a copy of their transcripts or diploma in PDF format during the application process.
CWI Retest Applicants
Training (when applicable) — Applicants may take their first retest without additional training. However, any additional retests (2nd or 3rd retests) shall require documented evidence of additional training – 16 hours for a 1-part or 2-part retest; 40 hours for 3-part retest. You will be required to upload your training hours in PDF format during the application process.
CWI Renewal/Recertification Applicants
- Qualifying Work Experience — You will be required to enter relative work experience which is applicable to the CWI program. Candidates must attest to having no period of continuous inactivity greater than two years during the previous three years of certification in activities described in AWS B5.1.
- Personal Development Hours (when applicable) — If recertifying by PDHs, you will be required to upload documentation that verifies your hours in PDF format (example: certificates of completion with course descriptions).
Become a Skilled Tradeperson
The demand for most trades is strong and getting stronger. The U.S. Department of Labor forecasts healthy growth in the neighborhood of 8 to 9 percent over the next decade. Jobs associated with building and rebuilding roads, bridges, water, and the power grid are expected to grow by double-digit percentages–faster than the overall economy.