SHC Safety and Health Committee
- Promote knowledge concerning occupational environmental effects on the health and safety of personnel involved in welding, brazing, thermal cutting and allied processes, including the storage and handling of welding and thermal cutting equipment and materials.
- Promote standardization of methods for sampling and analysis of substances and radiations emitted in welding and thermal cutting processes.
- Develop safe practices and standards for such processes to ensure a safe working environment for welders and associated personnel.
- Make recommendations concerning projects to be funded by the Safety and Health Research Fund.
- Establish liaison with other AWS Committees and other organizations to ensure coordination for improved efficiency and to avoid duplication of effort.
- Nominate and administer the activities of official safety and health representatives of the society on committees of other societies in accordance with the “Rules for the Appointment and Functioning of Representatives of AWS on Technical Committees of Other Societies,” as approved by the Board of Directors.
- AWS F1.1M:2018, Method for Sampling Airborne Particulates Generated by Welding and Allied Processes
- AWS F1.2:2013, Laboratory Method for Measuring Fume Generation Rates and Total Fume Emission of Welding and Allied
- AWS F1.3M:2006, A Sampling Strategy Guide for Evaluating Contaminants in the Welding Environment
- AWS F1.5M:2003, Methods for Sampling and Analyzing Gases from Welding and Allied Processes
- AWS F1.6:2017, Guide for Estimating Welding Emissions for EPA and Ventilation Permit Reporting
- AWS F2.2:2001 (R2010), Lens Shade Selector
- AWS F2.3M:2011, Specification for Use and Performance of Transparent Welding Curtains and Screens
- AWS F3.2M/F3.2:2018, Ventilation Guide for Weld Fume
- AWS F4.1:2017, Safe Practices for the Preparation of Containers and Piping for Welding, Cutting and Allied Proceses
- Effects of Welding on Health – Volumes I through XIV
NEW STANDARDS UNDERGOING DRAFTING AND APPROVAL
LIST OF SUBCOMMITTEES
- AWS SH1 Subcommittee on Fumes and Gases
- AWS SH4 Subcommittee on Labeling and Safe Practices
JOIN THE COMMITTEE/SUBCOMMITTEE
The SHC Committee seeks volunteers to participate in its standards development process. The committee is recruiting all types of members as well as members with specific interests (Educators and General Interest) in regard to the committee’s scope. Contact Steve Hedrick to learn more about this committee’s work and/or complete the Technical Committee Application.
Become a Skilled Tradeperson
The demand for most trades is strong and getting stronger. The U.S. Department of Labor forecasts healthy growth in the neighborhood of 8 to 9 percent over the next decade. Jobs associated with building and rebuilding roads, bridges, water, and the power grid are expected to grow by double-digit percentages–faster than the overall economy.