D8 Committee on Automotive Welding
CHAIR: Ted Coon, Ford Motor Company
SECRETARY: Mario Diaz
COORDINATOR: Yojaidy Acosta
SCOPE: The D8 AWS on Automotive Welding is responsible for the development of AWS standards on all aspects of welding in the automotive industry.
- AWS D8.1M:2013, Specification for Automotive Weld Quality – Resistance Spot Welding of Steel
- AWS D8.2M:2017, Specification for Automotive Weld Quality – Resistance Spot Welding of Aluminum Materials
- AWS D8.8M:2014, Specification for Automotive Weld Quality-Arc Welding of Steel
- AWS D8.9M:2012, Recommended Practices for Test Methods for Evaluating the Resistance Spot Welding Behavior of Automotive Sheet Steel Materials
- AWS D8.14M:2017, Specification for Automotive Weld Quality - Arc Welding of Aluminum
NEW DOCUMENTS UNDERGOING DRAFTING AND APPROVAL
- D8.10M, Specification for Automotive Weld Quality-Laser Welding of Steel
- D8.17M, Specification for Automotive Weld Quality – Friction Stir Welding
LIST OF SUBCOMMITTEES
- AWS D8C Subcommittee on Automotive Arc Welding
- AWS D8D Subcommittee on Automotive Resistance Spot Welding
- AWS D8E Subcommittee on Automotive Laser Welding
- AWS D8H Subcommittee on Automotive Friction Stir Welding
JOIN THE COMMITTEE/SUBCOMMITTEE
The D8 Committee seeks volunteers to participate in its standards development process. The committee is recruiting all types of members as well as members with specific interests (Consultants, Educators, General Interest, and Users) in regard to the committee’s scope. Contact Mario Diaz to learn more about this committee’s work and/or complete the Technical Committee Application.
Become a Skilled Tradeperson
The demand for most trades is strong and getting stronger. The U.S. Department of Labor forecasts healthy growth in the neighborhood of 8 to 9 percent over the next decade. Jobs associated with building and rebuilding roads, bridges, water, and the power grid are expected to grow by double-digit percentages–faster than the overall economy.