AWS Welding Competition 2019
Monday: 10:00am – 5:00pm
Tuesday: 9:00am – 4:00pm
Winners announced both days, 1 hour before closing
5 minutes and $15 could earn you $1200 − Enter for your shot at the grand prize!
How well do you lay a bead? Think you do it better than anyone else? If you’re 18 or older and weld for a living, then enter the AWS Professional Welding Competition at FABTECH to prove it. The contest takes only 5 minutes, and if you’re as good as you think, you could win up to $1200.
Prize winners will be announced each day an hour before the show floor closes (5:00pm Monday and 4:00pm Tuesday) for the following categories:
|First prize:||$ 1,200|
|Second prize:||$ 500|
|Third prize:||$ 250|
|Top 12: AWS SWAG bag and Education Services T-Shirt|
Winners must be present to collect their prizes.
HOW IT WORKS
- You must have an attendee badge to access the show floor. Register in advance here. Badge pick-up is on-site in the show registration area.
- Stop by Booth: B17116 during the show Monday or Tuesday and complete an entry form and pay a $15 fee to participate. You may compete both days as many times as you wish by completing the form and paying the registration fee each time you choose to compete. The daily competition concludes one hour before the show floor closes.
- Complete an entry form and pay a $15 fee to participate. You may compete both days as many times as you wish by completing the form and paying the registration fee each time you choose to compete.
- Head to your designated booth with the pre-tacked joint you received at registration. Welding equipment and gear (use your helmet and gloves if you want), a chipping hammer and brush will already be on your table.
- The countdown begins when you enter your booth. You have 5 minutes to complete and clean your single-pass fillet weld, after which time the machine will automatically shut down. Speed may be taken into consideration during judging, so alert the attendant to stop the clock as soon as you’re done.
- You must be present one hour before the show floor closes when winners are announced to collect your prize if you win.
FYI: the low carbon steel weldment you’re given may or may not comply with AWS welding codes and has been designed to test your skills and knowledge of the welding process.
JUDGING AND PRIZES
All weldments will be evaluated to the current AWS D1.1 by panel of Certified Welding Inspectors (CWI) Judges will pick the top 20 based on weld size and overall appearance and a Laser Profiler will place the top 12. Additional NDE may be performed at their discretion.