Photo ID Requirements
AWS adopts the same requirements for Passport Photos maintained by the U.S. Department of State.
Certiﬁcation Applicants and Current Certification Credential Holders seeking renewal or recertiﬁcation must provide one (1) passport-style photograph.
AWS maintains a photo of all Certiﬁcation Applicants and Certiﬁed Credential Holders.
The photo is used to validate a candidate’s identity via Exam Center Rosters and will be included on the Certified Credential Holder’s Identiﬁcation Card (Wallet Card) which is provided to a candidate when required exam passing scores are achieved for an initial certification or when renewal or recertiﬁcation requirements are met.
AWS recommends that applicants and candidates use a professional passport photo service to ensure the photo submitted to AWS meets all requirements.
Passport Photo Services are available at a variety of pharmacies, retailers and many stores that processes and prints photos.
Photos copied or digitally scanned from driver’s licenses or other similar ofﬁcial documents are not acceptable.
In addition, snapshots, magazine photos, photos from low quality photo vending machines, mobile phone photos, or full-length photos are not accepted.
Submitting Photos to AWS
Links to the AWS Online Self-Service Options including the online Certiﬁcation Application Portal are found in the navigation column to the right.
General and Printed Photo Requirements
- In color
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 millimeter and 35 millimeter) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Taken within the last 6 months to reﬂect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis:
- Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose.
- Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device or similar articles, they may be worn for your photo.
- Dark glasses or non-prescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certiﬁcate may be required).
- Glare on glasses is not acceptable in your photo. Glare can be avoided with a slight downward tilt of the glasses or by removing the glasses or by turning off the camera ﬂash.
Digital Photo Requirements
Digital Images must follow the requirements below:
- Dimensions: The image dimensions must be in a square aspect ratio (the height must be equal to the width). Minimum acceptable dimensions are 600 x 600 pixels. Maximum acceptable dimensions are 1200 x 1200 pixels.
- Color: The image must be in color (24 bits per pixel) in RGB color space which is the common output for most digital cameras.
- File Format: The image must be in JPEG ﬁle format.
- File Size: The image must be less than or equal to 240 kB (kilobytes).
- Compression: The image may need to be compressed in order for it to be under the maximum ﬁle size. The compression ratio should be less than or equal to 20:1.
Scanned Print Photo Requirements
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm)
- Scanned at a resolution of 300 pixels per inch (12 pixels per millimeter)
Renewals and Recertification
Examination results will be held until the required photo is submitted to AWS.
To avoid delays in receiving examination results or the processing of renewal or recertiﬁcation applications, please submit the photo via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For question or concerns, please email the AWS Certiﬁcation Department at certiﬁcation@aws.org or call the AWS Certiﬁcation Department 800-443-9353, extension 273.
Additionally, please explore the Certification Frequently Asked Questions page. A link is provided in the column to the right.
- Online Application
- Application Tracker
- Check Application Status
- Confirm Seminar
- Update Your Profile