ISO Standards Endorsement
The ISO Standards exam/endorsement provides CWIs and SCWIs an opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge, ability and skills in the ISO standards used as the test base.
With this endorsement, CWIs and SCWIs may expand their opportunities in areas of the world where these standards are commonly specified.
SCOPE OF ENDORSEMENT
AWS QC1, Standard for AWS Certification of Welding Inspectors, provides for endorsements that may be added to the CWI and SCWI certifications. Endorsements are indication of an additional knowledge, skill or ability documented in writing and added to an individual’s certification credential(s).
Who should take the endorsement?
Any current CWI or SCWI may take this endorsement to supplement their current credential(s) and understanding in EN and ISO standards. The endorsement may also be used as a route towards your recertification.
What are the requirements of taking the exam?
Candidates who hold an AWS CWI and SCWI wishing to take this examination to add as an endorsement to their AWS credentials shall be current in their AWS certification status.
This endorsement has no mandatory training requirements.
Training will be available from AWS by the end of Q3. This training will help individuals familiarize themselves with the ISO standards on which the exam is based.
Candidates seeking the ISO Standards endorsement shall pass an open-book examination. To study for the endorsement, candidates are encouraged to become thoroughly familiar with the reference standards listed under Informative References for self-study.
Electronic versions of the reference books may not be available at the computer-based test center during the exam. Candidates are strongly encouraged to bring their own printed, bound copies of the reference standards listed under References Required for Examination.
Successful candidates must correctly answer 72% of the questions to receive this endorsement. Re-examinations for this endorsement shall be in accordance withof AWS QC1.
The Test Specifications area breakdown of the exam content areas covered by the endorsement along with the proportion of the exam devoted to each content area. This endorsement consists of a minimum of 50 questions.
Questions on Test
[ISO 15614−1 and ISO 9606−1]
|0101 General Requirements
0102 WPS Qualification
0103 Performance Qualification of Welders
[EN 15085−3 and ISO 5817]
|0201 General Fabrication Requirements for Railway Applications
0202 Design of Welded Connections in Railway Applications
0203 Welding Requirements for Railway Applications
[EN 15085, ISO 5817]
|0301 General Requirements
0302 Visual Testing
Reports and Records
[ISO 15614−1, ISO 9606−1, ISO 5817]
|0401 General Reports and Records||5%|
Materials and Design
|0501 Parent Materials and Consumables in Railway Applications
0502 Weld Joint Design in Railway Applications
Informative References for Self-Study
The following is a list of informative reference standards to assist those wishing to learn and understand how ISO standards are used and to prepare for this endorsement test. Candidates should be thoroughly familiar with ISO terminology, classifications, and symbols.
- ISO 2553 Welding and allied processes – Symbolic representation on drawings – Welded joints
- ISO 6947 Welding and allied processes – Welding positions
- ISO 4063 Welding and allied processes — Nomenclature of processes and reference numbers
- ISO 6520-1 Classification of imperfections in fusion welding, Part 1: Fusion welding
- ISO 15609-1 Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic metals - Welding procedure specification - Part 1: Arc Welding
- ISO 17637 Non-destructive testing of welds - Visual testing of fusion-welded joints
- ISO 9712 Non-destructive testing - Qualification and certification of personnel
- EN 15085:2007 Railway applications – Welding of railway vehicles and components, Parts 1 through 5
- ISO 9606-1 Qualification testing of welders – Fusion welding – Part 1: Steels
- ISO 15614-1 Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic metals - Welding procedure test - Part 1
- ISO 5817 Welding – Fusion welded joints in steel, nickel, titanium and their alloys (beam welding excluded) – Quality levels for imperfections
- ISO 5173 Destructive tests on welds in metallic materials — Bend tests
The PDF version of these references will NOT be available at Prometric testing centers. In addition, candidates can NOT bring their own copies of the same standards to be used during the test.
Reference Required for Examination
Questions appearing on this endorsement exam are drawn from the following list of reference standards which will be provided in PDF at testing:
- EN 15085:2007 Railway applications – Welding of railway vehicles and components – Parts 1 through 5 (provided in combined PDF)
- ISO 9606-1:2012 Qualification testing of welders – Fusion welding – Part 1: Steels
- ISO 15614-1:2017 Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic metals Welding procedure test - Part 1
- ISO 5817:2014 Welding – Fusion welded joints in steel, nickel, titanium and their alloys (beam welding excluded) – Quality levels for imperfections
The PDF version of the four references will be available at Prometric testing centers. In addition, candidates can bring their own copies of the same standards to be used during the test.
What question types appearon the exam?
The exam will consist primarily of multiple-choice items; some single correct answer items and alternative item types may appear as well.
How is the exam delivered?
The endorsement exam will be delivered at an AWS approved computer-based test (CBT) test center.
How much time does a candidate have to complete the CBT exam?
The maximum time a candidate can have to complete the test is 120 minutes.
How endorsement will be expressed?
Existing CWIs and SCWIs who meet the endorsement examination requirements will be awarded the endorsement in an approved manner.
Eligibility for initial certification or 9-year recertification
For existing CWI and SCWIs,successful completion of this endorsement satisfies the re-examination requirements for 9-year recertification, provided that the endorsement is taken during the immediate 9-year period.
Renewal requirements for this endorsement
This endorsement does not have any requirements for renewal. It will automatically be renewed at each CWI renewal or recertification. The endorsement will continue to be listed on the CWI secondary wallet card at the discretion of the individual CWI.
Professional Development Hours
- Online Application
- Application Tracker
- Check Application Status
- Confirm Seminar
- Update Your Profile
D1.1 Structural Steel
D1.2 Structural Aluminum
D1.5 Bridge Welding
API 1104 Pipeline
ISO Standards Endorsement
Welder Performance Qualifier Endorsement
Magnetic Particle Testing (MT Dry Powder Yoke Method)
Penetrant Testing (PT Type II- Method C)
ASME BPVC Section IX, Power (B31.1) and Process (B31.3) Piping
ASME BPVC Section VIII, Div. 1 and Section IX
Structural Bolting Inspection
Structural Drawing Reading
General Program Links
Benefits of Certification
Certification Price List
Policies and Fees
Seminar and Exam Schedules
List of AWS Open-book Exam References and Editions
Document and Form Library
Computer Based Testing Information
2021 International Exam Schedule
Qualification and Certification Committees
Frequently Asked Questions