The Science of Nondestructive Testing
At a Glance
Course: 30 days
Exam: 10 more days
Length & PDH / CEU
Approximately 6 hours
6 PDHs | .6 CEUs
Who Should Take This Course
Student Learning Outcomes
- Welding professionals seeking to better understand non-destructive testing methods
- Welding professionals seeking to become welding inspectors
- This student body may encompass many positions, including:
- Welding Inspectors
- Welding Supervisors
- Quality Control Personnel
- This student body may encompass many positions, including:
No previous knowledge is required. This course presents NDT concepts in clear, easy-to-understand language and easily digestible chunks of information. We will start at the beginning, explain every term and topic, and provide practice questions to ensure learners understand the material. However, students with no welding background whatsoever may benefit from gaining a general understanding of basic welding processes and welding terminology. This prerequisite knowledge can be obtained by:
- Taking the AWS Welding Fundamentals I online course
- Obtaining and reading a copy of AWS A3.0 Standard Terms and Definitions
This course teaches students:
- Non-Destructive testing methods:
- Visual testing
- Penetrant testing
- How non-destructive testing was developed and how it is used today
- The differences between Discontinuities and Defects
- The scientific principles that govern the different non-destructive testing methods
- How different types of non-destructive tests are performed
- When to use each type of non-destructive testing
Upon completion of The Science of Non-Destructive Testing, students will be able to:
- Understanding the principles of nondestructive testing and how it can be used to evaluate welds
- Familiarity with the various types of nondestructive testing methods, such as radiography, ultrasonic testing, magnetic particle testing, and liquid penetrant testing
- Ability to select and apply the appropriate nondestructive testing method for a given welding application
- Understanding the role that nondestructive testing plays in ensuring quality welds
- Knowledge of relevant industry standards and codes related to nondestructive testing of welded materials
- Familiarity with safety procedures and precautions related to nondestructive testing
- Module 1 - Introduction to Non-Destructive Testing And Discontinuities
- Module 2 - Common Discontinuities and Their Causes
- Module 3 - The Science of Sight
- Module 4 - How to Perform a Visual Test
- Module 5 - The Science of Capillary Action
- Module 6 - How Capillary Action Works in Penetrant Testing
- Module 7 - The Science of Magnetism
- Module 8 - How Magnetism Works in Magnetic Particle Testing
- Module 9 - The Science of Radiation
- Module 10 - Radiation Safety
- Module 11 – How Radiation Works in Radiographic Testing
- Module 12 – The Science of Sound
- Module 13 – How Sound Works in Ultrasonic Testing
Frequently Asked Questions
How much do I need to know before taking this course?
No previous knowledge is required. This course presents NDT concepts in clear, easy-to-understand language and easily digestible chunks of information. We start at the beginning, explain every term and topic, and provide practice questions to ensure you understand the material.
Who should take this course?
The Science of Non-Destructive Testing is ideal for both students and welding professionals involved in inspection, supervision, or quality control.
How long do I have to complete this course?
Participants have access to the course content 24 hours a day for a period of 30 days from the date of registration. After this 30-day period, participants will have an additional 10 days to pass the completion exam. The exam can be activated before the end of the 30-day period if the participant has completed all the modules.
Does this course include a completion exam?
Yes. Upon completion of the final course module, participants are prompted to take an exam designed to evaluate their comprehension of the subject matter. The completion exam consists of 50 multiple-choice questions and must be completed within a 90-minute period. Participants who do not attain the 75% passing score may attempt to retake the exam a second time. Participants who attain a score of 75% or more on the completion exam earn an AWS Certificate of Completion and 6 Professional Development Hours (PDHs). The AWS Certificate of Completion can be downloaded and printed directly from the webpage.
Do I need to purchase any other materials?
No. All the materials and resources necessary to complete the course objectives are included.
Do I receive Professional Development Hours (PDHs) for completing this course?
Yes. Participants who attain a score of 75% or above on the Completion Exam will receive an AWS Certificate of Completion and 6 Professional Development Hours (PDHs).
Can I use these Professional Development Hours (PDHs) for recertification?
Yes. Professional Development Hours (PDHs) earned through AWS online courses can be applied towards recertification provided the PDH’s are earned during the certification period.
Do I receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for completing this course?
Can I use these Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for recertification?
Will this course help prepare me for the Certified Welding Inspector Exam?Yes. The Certified Welding Inspector Fundamentals Exam (Part A) contains questions concerning the topics covered in this course. This course is designed to help prepare participants for this section of the exam.
What platforms and devices can I use to view AWS Learning online courses?You must be connected to the internet to access AWS Learning online courses. AWS supports the most recent versions of Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer. Courses can be viewed on desktops, laptops, tablets, and mobile phones. Note, however, that a high speed internet connection and large screen offer a better user experience.
Navigating the world of online learning or attending in-person seminars can sometimes be challenging. However, you don't have to face these challenges alone. Our support team is here to assist you every step of the way, whether you're experiencing technical glitches, having issues with our LMS, or have questions about any of our programs. Access our user-friendly form through the link provided, and we will help you get back on track towards achieving your goals.