Research Papers - 2020
Research Papers posted are available in PDF format ONLY. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version of the document.
- Underwater Pulse-Current FCAW − Part 2: Bubble Behaviors and Waveform Optimization
This study found that two different separation modes can be adjusted by appropriately changing the current values when the bubbles are necking.
by J. Wu, Y. Han, C. Jia, C. Wu, and Q. Yang
- Filler Metal 16-8-2 for Structural Welds on 304H and 347H Stainless Steels for High-Temperature Service
The purpose of this investigation was to explore the potential application of Type 16-8-2 filler metal for high-temperature structural welds in oil and gas downstream applications.
by C. Fink, H. Wang, B. T. Alexandrov, and J. Penso
- Metal Transfer Mechanisms in Hot-Wire Gas Metal Arc Welding
The objective of this study was to detail the influence of the hot-wire polarity, welding direction, and hot-wire feed rates.
by P. P. G. Ribeiro, P. D. C. Assuncao, E.M. Braga, and A. P. Gerlich
- Prediction of Weld Penetration Using Dynamic Weld Pool Arc Images
A new method is proposed to more accurately predict weld penetration using fused images.
by W. Jiao, Q. Wang, Y. Cheng, R. Yu, and Y. M. Zhang
- Solidification Cracking Susceptibility of Stainless Steels: New Test and Explanation
The Transverse Motion Weldability test exhibits advantages over the Varestraint test for assessing the susceptibility of various stainless steels to solidification cracking.
by K. Liu, P. Yu, and S. Kou
- Effects of Filler Wire Intervention on Gas Tungsten Arc: Part II − Dynamic Behaviors of Liquid Droplets
Part II studies droplet behavior and its effect on the gas tungsten arc to test a novel arc-sensing method for monitoring and controlling weld quality.
by S. Zou, Z. Wang, S. Hu, G. Zhao, W. Wang, and Y. Chen
- Deep Learning-Based Detection of Penetration from Weld Pool Reflection Images
An innovative method is proposed to determine weld joint penetration using machine learning techniques.
by C. Li, Q. Wang, W. Jiao, M. Johnson, and Y. M. Zhang
- Effects of Filler Wire Intervention on Gas Tungsten Arc: Part I − Mechanism
Part I studies the mechanism of the filler wire on the gas tungsten arc based on an arc-sensing method of detecting probe voltages.
by S. Zou, Z. Wang, S. Hu, G. Zhao, W. Wang, and Y. Chen
- Bond Formation Mechanism for Resistance Welding of X70 Pipeline Steel
A physical mechanism for joint formation during.
by R. Kannan, L. Li, L. Guo, N. Anderson, M. Rashid, L. Collins, and M. Arafin
- Comparison of the Resistance Spot Weldability of AA5754 and AA6022 Aluminum to Steels
Parallel studies were carried out for AA5754 low carbon steel and AA6022 low carbon steel resistance spot welds to investigate the effects of aluminum contact resistance on the weld profile, interfacial microstructure, defect distribution, and coach peel performance.
by S. Hu, A. S. Haselhuhn, Y. Ma, Y. Li, B. E. Carlson, and Z. Lin
- Effect of PWHT on Laser-Welded Duplex Stainless Steel
This study aims to evaluate the effects of postweld heat treatments on the microstructure, the tensile behavior, and corrosion resistance of laser-welded UNS S32304 duplex stainless steel.
by A. S. Magalhães, C. H. X. M. Magalhães, M. S. F. De Lima, J. Cruz, L. B. Godefroid, R. Bertazzoli, and G. L. De Faria
- Characteristics of Arc and Metal Transfer in Pulsed Ultrasonic-Assisted GMAW
The conventional process for GMAW of aluminum alloys was significantly improved with the addition of different pulsed frequencies.
by C. Chen, C. Fan, X. Cai, Z. Liu, S. Lin, and C. Yang
- Ultrasonic-Driven Spreading of Liquid Solder on Nonwetting Substrates
In this work, the authors studied the spreading behavior of a liquid solder on Al substrates by using high-speed photography.
by Y. Xu, Z. Li, L. Ma, J. Bo and J. Yan
- Method and Criteria to Evaluate Reheat Cracking Susceptibility
To evaluate the reheat cracking sensitivity of 2.25Cr1Mo0.25V steel CGHAZ simply, effectively, and accurately, this study developed and perfected the CGHAZ notched C-ring test.
by L. Zhang, K. Wang, Y. Huang, C. Xu, and J. Chen
- Underwater Pulse-Current FCAW — Part 1: Waveform and Process Features
A novel underwater wet FCAW process showed how pulse current controls metal transfer, leading to optimized weld formation.
by C. Jia, J. Wu, Y. Han, Y. Zhang, Q. Yang, and C. Wu
- Interactive Phenomena in Hybrid KPAW–GMAW-P
A hybrid welding technique formed by combining keyhole plasma arc welding and pulsed gas metal arc welding is characterized by the complex interactions of the arc, droplet, keyhole, and weld pool.
by D. Wu, S. Tashiro, Z. Wu, K. Nomura, X. Hua, and M. Tanaka
- Effect of Galvannealed Coating Evolution during Press Hardening on RSW Weldability
A study investigated the relationship of heat-treatment conditions to the diffusion layer growth, their effect on the RSW process window of Zn-coated PHS, and its subsequent effect on mechanical properties.
by X. Han, M. H. Razmpoosh, A. Macwan, E. Biro, and Y. Zhou
- Evaluation of Hydrogen-Assisted Cracking Susceptibility in Grade T24 Steel
The base metal was found to have a higher resistance to hydrogen embrittlement than the simulated coarse-grained heat-affected zonedue to its microstructure.
by X. Feng, J. M. Steiner, B. T. Alexandrov, and J. C. Lippold
- Enhanced Penetration Depth during Reduced Pressure Keyhole-Mode Laser Welding
Researchers sought to elucidate the underlying mechanism for the enhanced depth of penetration during keyhole mode laser welding at reduced ambient pressure.
by M. Jiang, Y. B. Chen, X. Chen, W. Toa, and T. Debroy
- Control of Weld Residual Stress in a Thin Steel Plate through Low Transformation Temperature Welding Consumables
A new LTTW consumable was developed for welding thin sheets of advanced high-strength steels.
by X. Wu, Z. Wang, J. R. Bunn, L. Kolbus, Z. Feng, Z. Yu, and S. Liu
- Microstructure and Shear Strength of Novel Aluminum to Steel Resistance Spot Welds
A new mini-shear test was developed to measure intermetallic shear strength at the interface of aluminum to steel resistance spot welds.
by J. Kang, L. Shi, B. Shalchi-Amirkhiz, D. R. Sigler, A. S. Haselhuhn, and B. E. Carlson
- Four Types of LME Cracks in RSW of Zn-Coated AHSS
The formation of LME cracks were examined and a new classification system was proposed.
by S. P. Murugan, V. Vijayan, C. Ji, and Y.-D. Park
- Laser-Driven Programmable Metal Transfer in GMAW
Double-sided, laser-enhanced GMAW was proposed to provide controllability of the weld beam geometry.
by S. J. Chen, Y. Z. Jia, J. Xiao, and W. H. Huang
- Quantitative Weld Quality Acceptance Criteria: An Enabler for Structural Lightweighting and Additive Manufacturing
As the competition for achieving structural lightweighting intensifies, more quantitative quality acceptance criteria are called for.
by P. Dong
- Steel-Reinforced Polyethylene Pipe: Extrusion Welding, Investigation, and Mechanical Testing
The effects of welding methods, with and without preheat conditions, on weld quality were investigated.
by C. Tippayasam and A. Kaewvilai
- Geometry Dependent Solidification Regimes in Metal Additive Manufacturing
A simple analytical expression was shown to accurately predict the transition between solification regimes.
by A. Plotkowski
- Electrochemical Behavior of Dissimilar Carbon-Stainless Steel RSW Joints
Formation of martensite in the fusion zone of resistance spot welded joints produced raised hardness levels and was detrimental to corrosion resistance.
by D. F. Silva and P. P. Brito
- Wire-Based Additive Manufacturing of Stainless Steel Components
Since significant differences exist among laser, arc, and electron beam heat sources, the results shown here can be used to help select the best wire-fed process for high-deposition-rate applications.
by J. W. Elmer, J. Vaja, J. S. Carpenter, D. R. Coughlin, M. J. Dvornak, P. Hochanadel, P. Gurung, A. Johnson, and G. Gibbs
- Characteristics of Magnetic Field Assisting Plasma GMAW-P
Droplet transfer and voltage-current characteristics of gas metal arc welding in single-pulsed GMAW, plasma pulsed GMAW, and plasma-GMAW-P with a magnetic field were studied.
by J. Yu, B. Wang, H. Zhang, Q. Wang, L. Wei, P. Chen, P. He, and J. Feng