Donald and Shirley Hastings Scholarship
The Donald and Shirley Hastings Scholarship is provided from personal contributions from the Hastings family to the AWS Foundation, Inc. to promote higher education in welding.
The purpose for this scholarship is to provide financial assistance to those individuals interested in pursuing a career in welding engineering.
The Donald and Shirley Hastings Scholarship will be awarded to a college undergraduate student pursuing a minimum four-year bachelors degree in welding engineering (WE) or welding engineering technology (WET); however, priority will be given to welding engineering (WE) students.
All applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Applicants must be a minimum of eighteen years of age
- Applicant must have a minimum high school diploma
- Applicant must have a 2.5 grade point average overall
- Proof of financial need is required to qualify. FAFSA must be filed
- Applicant must submit all required application information
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States and plan to attend an academic institution located within the United States
- Priority will be given to those individuals residing or attending school in the states of Iowa, Ohio, or California. (A resident is defined as having lived in the specified area for a minimum of one year.)
- Applicants may reapply; however, persons who have received this award may reapply and be granted the award for a maximum of four years.
The AWS Foundation does not discriminate by age, race, color, national origin, disability, creed, or gender.
Become a Skilled Tradeperson
The demand for most trades is strong and getting stronger. The U.S. Department of Labor forecasts healthy growth in the neighborhood of 8 to 9 percent over the next decade. Jobs associated with building and rebuilding roads, bridges, water, and the power grid are expected to grow by double-digit percentages–faster than the overall economy.