What is the procedure for downloading electronic versions of codes/standards from the Bookstore?
The electronic format in which codes/standards are available electronically is a protected form of a PDF file (Portable Document Format). By “protected” we mean that certain rights and limitations are associated with the use of the content within the file. These rights and limitations are implemented using Digital Rights Management (DRM) software – in our case this software is called FileOpen. To gain access to the downloaded content, you need do the following steps:
- Ensure you have Adobe Reader X or higher version software on your computer. Note: If you have a OSX (Mac) system, then you might need to downgrade to Adobe Reader X if you are using XI version.
- Download the latest version of FileOpen plug-in software to your computer. You should try to download the latest version here (for both Adobe Reader and FileOpen): pubs.aws.org/customer/downloadableproducts. You must first login to your account on the AWS Bookstore and then go to My Account > Downloadable Products. If you already have a version of FileOpen on your computer, you might need to uninstall your current version first.
- Once the Adobe and FileOpen software are installed on your computer, you will then be able to download your electronic code/standard from the AWS Bookstore.
- When you click on the link to the PDF document, please select to save it to your computer instead of trying to open it in the browser. You can also do a right click and “Save as” if you use a PC.
What rights and limitations apply to my purchases of an electronic AWS code/standard?
The rights and limitations associated with a purchase of an electronic code/standard are managed by our Digital Rights Management (DRM) policies which are automatically implemented the first time you open the document on your computer.
- You first must have both the Adobe Reader X and the FileOpen plug-in software on your computer.
- You need to have Internet access and you have to give access to Adobe Acrobat and FileOpen access in your Windows Firewall and Proxy server in order to connect to our servers to validate your user (the computer you downloaded the electronic code/standard file to) every time you try to open or print the document. Make sure you provide access to: *.awspubs.com and pubs.aws.org within your Windows Firewall and Proxy server.
- Once you the document is opened the first time in a computer, that computer will be the only authorized equipment to open it in the future.
- Make sure you have your firewall and/or proxy server properly set up to print the document if you’re using a network printing. If you are having issues with your printer, make sure you set up the following in Adobe Reader: Edit>Preferences>General>Enable protected mode at startup. If you already have this setting, try making it backward, this setting works differently on different environments.
- The DRM right for printing a document is set at a limit of 1 print of a given downloaded PDF file.
- One limitation is that currently, AWS documents are not viewable on readers, cell phones and other handheld devices.
What browsers work with this site?
This site is fully tested on Internet Explorer 8.0 and above. Some issues may occur with other browsers such as Google Chrome.
My AWS membership number is rejected from the system. What do I do?
It can take up to 3 business days for your AWS membership number or ID to show up in the system. Create your account, and send an email to email@example.com and send them you email address and AWS number. Your account will be updated accordingly.
I have a corporate membership. Why can't I sign in?
Corporate member numbers will not work at the bookstore site. The bookstore can only be accessed through individual member numbers.
I can't remember my password.
Members can reset their password at my.aws.org/login. Non-members can reset their password at pubs.aws.org/login.
I can't download the PDF, the download link expired, or there is no download button.
When purchasing a document, there is a limited time to download the publications. To get an extension, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number, and your expiration date will be extended.
I clicked on the download button but it shows a blank page or nothing happens.
Make sure the File Open Plug in was installed. If the error continues please report it to email@example.com.
I can't download the PDF, it gives me a "Failed to load" error message.
Make sure you are using Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox as your browser. Google Chrome is not compatible with our electronic files.
I downloaded the file, but I don't know my username or password.
For non-members, your username is the email address you specified when creating your account. Your password is the same password used to log on to this site. Members must use their AWS member number as the username.
I downloaded the file, but I can't open it. "This machine is not authorized to open this document"
Make sure you are using the same computer where you opened the file for the first time. Files are locked to one specific computer. Make sure you are using your email address as the username, and use the same password that is used to log on this website. If you moved or changed computer, then send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and they will reset your access permissions.
I downloaded the file, but nothing happens when I try to open it.
I can't print the document. I have a Kyocera Printer.
These documents are not compatible with Kyocera printers. Please try to print with a different printer.
I can open the file in the office, but I can't open it at home.
The files are locked to a specific computer. If you need to transfer it to another computer, send an email to email@example.com. If you are using the same machine, and it still won't open, then make sure you are using the same kind of internet connection. For example if you connect via a cable or ethernet cable at the office, then connect the same way at home. If you use wireless at home, and cable at the office, it won't work in both locations. You need to use the same type of connection in both places. If you want to change your preferred method of connecting to the internet, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I can't install the File Open Plugin. I get a security error in my browser, or I can't run Active X.
What is the AWS Store Return Policy?
All returns must be pre-approved and returned in the same condition as received within 30 days of invoice / order date. Please call 1-305-443-9353 Ext 280 or e-mail to email@example.com for a return authorization number. All returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee. Electronically supplied products, special orders, and age-dated materials cannot be returned including historical versions. Shipping and handling charges are non-refundable. When approved returns can be sent to the attention of:
AWS Bookstore – Returns at 8669 NW 36th Street, # 130, Miami, FL 33166
How do I retrieve my download?
You can download this document at any time, by visiting the website http://pubs.aws.org and clicking on the My Account>Downloadable Products after logging in using your same AWS Member ID and Password (Members) or Email address and Password (Non-Members).
I cannot print the document. I am using a network printer.
Make sure you set up the following in Adobe Reader. Edit > Preferences > General > Enable protected mode at startup. If you already have this setting, try disabling this, this setting works differently on different environments or Edit > Preferences > Security Enhanced > Enable protected mode at startup. If you already have this setting as checked, try making it backward (uncheck it), this setting works differently on different environments. Make sure to close Adobe and open it again after changing this setting when you test it out.
Why can't I print double sided?
According to FileOpen, Adobe Reader has a "bug" in their system that causes this issue. A workaround for double sided printing, is to set your Adobe Reader's default printing settings as double sided in printing preferences, then closing Adobe and then opening the file again and try again.
Why does my member discount not reflect?
Make sure you signed in with your member number otherwise the site will recognize the user as a non-member.
What is the cut off time for express delivery?
Any orders placed after 1:00 pm EST will ship the next business day excluding holidays.
How long does it take for my order to ship?
Orders can take 2-3 business days to ship excluding holidays.
How can I set up an account to be invoiced?
A credit application can be filled out and requested through firstname.lastname@example.org. Prepayment is required for the first order.
Why is my credit card being declined?
Make sure the bill to address being entered in our system matches the address where the credit card statements are received.
What does “An American National Standard” and “ANSI” mean on AWS Standards?
AWS standards are developed under a set of rules that govern the organization and operation of its technical committees. These AWS rules have been approved by ANSI, the American National Standards Institute, and allow AWS to include the words “An American National Standard” and the ANSI logo on the cover of our standards. Only one American National Standard on a particular subject/scope may exist. While AWS maintains ANSI approval, the AWS standards are the American National Standards for welding.
The AWS rules, as accredited by ANSI, state that a committee must review its published standards at least by the 5th year after publication. If a standard is not revised or reaffirmed within 10 years after publication, ANSI will administratively withdraw their approval of the standard. The standard may remain in the AWS catalog as a valid and a useful reference for the welding industry.
What does reaffirmation mean?
A technical committee may propose the reaffirmation of a standard if the existing document is considered to still be correct and representative of the pertinent technology. No revisions are made but the year of reaffirmation is added to the designator e.g. A4.4M:2001(R2016). This means that the committee considers that the original content from 2001 is still valid. Standards can be reaffirmed multiple times before a revision is required. The standard will always include the most recent year of reaffirmation in the designator.
What does HISTORICAL mean when applied to a standard?
There are three possibilities:
- A standard has been revised and the previous edition(s) are considered historical e.g. AWS D1.1/D1.1M:2015 is the current edition and all previous editions are historical.
- The technical committee has decided to withdraw a standard. The content remains available but there is no plan to revise the standard.
- The standard has lost its ANSI approval – the standard was not revised or reaffirmed within 10 years of the last publication or reaffirmation date. The content while at least 10 years old may still be valid and a useful reference for the welding industry.
AWS reserves the right and holds the obligation to not accept any orders
AWS reserves the right and holds the obligation to not accept any orders from individuals and institutions identified below:
- Central African Republic
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- North Korea
- Palestinian Territories