Research Papers - 2011
Research Papers posted are available in PDF format ONLY. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF version of the document.
- Oscillatory Marangoni Flow: A Fundamental Study by Conduction-Mode Laser Spot Welding
The effects of various amounts of a surface-active agent on weld pool formation characteristics were observed and an explanation of the differences proposed. BY S. Kou et al.
- Ductile-Fracture Resistance in X100 Pipeline Welds Measured with CTOA
An evaluation is made of the usefulness of the modified double cantilever beam test specimen for determining ductility in pipe. BY E. Drexler et al.
- Characteristics of Resistance Welding Magnesium Alloys AZ31 and AZ91
An investigation into the resistance welding of magnesium alloys imparts a better understanding of the characteristics of expulsion and cracking. BY H. Luo et al.
- Manual Keyhole Plasma Arc Welding with Application
An experimental system is introduced that uses a sensorcontrolled plasma arc welding process to join pipe. BY X. R. Li et al.
- Laser-Enhanced Metal Transfer — Part II: Analysis and Influence Factors
A low-power laser, along with careful arc voltage control, enhanced metal transfer, especially in the short-circuiting range. BY Y. Huang and Y.M. Zhang
- Microstructure and Properties of Laser Brazed Magnesium to Coated Steel
Laser brazing, combined with an aluminum coating on steel, succeeded in joining magnesium alloys to steel. BY A.M. Nasiri et al.
- Material Properties for Welding Simulation — Measurement, Analysis, and Exemplary Data
Factors that lead to instability in the keyhole process were investigated. BY C. Schwenk and M. Rethmeier
- Laser Enhanced Metal Transfer — Part 1: System and Observations
An auxiliary detaching force from a low-power laser improved metal transfer. BY Y. Huang and Y.M. Zhang
- Application of Electro-Spark Deposition as a Joining Technology
The electro-spark process was used to join dissimilar materials and difficult-to-weld metals.
BY J. Gould
- Effects of Laser Parameters on Porosity Formation: Investigating Millimeter Scale Continous Wave Nd:YAG Laser Welds
Factors that lead to instability in the keyhole process were investigated. BY J.T. Norris et al.
- Comparison between DC(+) and Square Wave AC SAW Current Outputs to Weld AISI 304 for Low-Temperature Applications
Different submerged arc fluxes and two types of power source outputs were studied for their effects on weld metal ductility in cryogenic applications. BY R.E. Toma et al.
- Review: Experiments and Simulations for Small-Scale Electrical Discharges
A review of the characteristics of electrical discharge into submicron gaps between platinum cathodes and gold anodes was conducted. BY J. Chen et al.
- Laser Engineered Net Shaping® for Repair and Hydrogen Compatibility
This project looked into the capability of the LENS technology to repair mismachined or damaged parts with speed and agility. BY P.S. Korinko et al.
- Analysis of Spot Weld Growth on Mild and Stainless Steel
The effects of nugget growth on mild steel, stainless steel, and dissimilar steels were investigated with respect to the variation of current and weld time. BY A. Aravinthan and C. Nachimani
- Welding Sequence Definition Using Numerical Calculation
A variety of welding sequences and clamping conditions were calculated to predict distortion during pipe welding for a hydropower plant. BY P. Mrvar et al.
- Effect of Tool Geometries on Thermal History of FSW of AA1100
A study showed tool plunging force only marginally increased heat generation but was reduced significantly with an increase in tool rotational speed. BY P. Biswas and N.R. Mandal
- Virtual Reality Integrated Welder Training
Training potential, team learning, material consumption, and cost of using integrated virtual reality training were studied. BY R.T. Stone, K. Watts, and P. Zhong
- Measuring Welding Deformations with the Digital Image Correlation Technique
The reliability of a method for measuring strain evolution during welding was validated. BY M. De Strycker et al.
- Custom Beam Shaping for High-Power Fiber Laser Welding
The design of a beam-shaping optic was evaluated for its ability to smooth out the weld and prevent undercut at the weld toe. BY B. Victor et al.
- Simultaneous Imaging and Measurement of Pool Surface and Metal Transfer
Experimental results verified the effectiveness of image processing algorithms and modeling. BY Z. Z. Wang et al.
- Gas Metal Arc Weld Pool Surface Imaging: Modeling and Processing
A reflection-based observation system helps in the understanding and control of the welding process. BY X. Ma and Y. Zhang
- Correlation of Microstructures and Process Variables in FSW HSLA-65 Steel
The correlation of process variables with high-strength weld microstructure was studied. BY L.Y. Wei and T.W. Nelson
- Effect of Friction Welding Parameters on Mechanical and Microstructural Properties of Dissimilar AISI 1010-ASTM B22 Joints
The optimum parameters for rotary friction welding were obtained through experimentation. BY A. Kurt, I. Uygur, and U. Paylasan
- Filler Metal Influence on Weld Metal Structure of Microalloyed Steel
Three different filler metal formulas were evaluated as to their affect on the mechanical properties of X65 steel welds. BY N. Bajic et al.
- A New Chromium-Free Welding Consumable for Joining Austenitic Stainless Steels
The performance of a new Ni-Cu-based welding consumable to weld 304L stainless steel was studied for weldability and fume control of Cr(VI). BY J.W. Sowards et al.
- Calorimetric Measurement of Droplet Temperature in GMAW
A calorimetric measurement system showed droplet temperature reaching a minimum at the transition from globular to spray transfer. BY E.J. Soderstrom et al.
- Process Simulation in the AC Welding Arc Circuit Using a Cassie-Mayr Hybrid Model
A hybrid model is tested for its reliability in simulating an AC welding arc. BY A. Sawwicki, L. Switon, and R. Sosinski
- Weldability of Advanced High-Strength Steel Drawn Arc Stud Welding
A weldability study was conducted for the drawn arc stud welding process on advanced high-strenght steels, including boron steel and dual-phase steel. BY C. Hsu and J. Mumaw
- Stray Grain Formation and Solidification Cracking Susceptibility of Single Crystal Ni-Based Superalloy CMSX-4
The welding process and the parameters of operation were investigated for their influence on cracking susceptibility and stray grain formation. BY T.D. Anderson and J.N. DuPont
- Three-Sheet Spot Welding of Advanced High-Strenght Steels
Factorial Experimentation and statistical analysis are used to show how the welding process is affected by electrode size. BY C.V. Nielsen et al.
- Investigation on Welding Mechanism and Interlayer Selection of Magnesium/Steel Lap Joints
A hybrid laser-gas tungsten arc process was used to successfully join Mg alloys with mild steel with the addition of interlayers. BY X.-D. Qi and L.-M. Liu
- Laser Welding of High-Strength Galvanized Steels in a Gap-Free Lap Joint Configuration under Different Shielding Conditions
Manipulating the shielding gas conditions stabilized the keyhole formation, providing a vent for zinc vapor. BY S. Yang et al.
- The Effect of Helium on Welding Irradiated Materials
The effect of helium on the weldability of irradiated material and techniques to supress cracking are reviewed. BY S. Li et al.