If you are currently enrolled, or will soon enroll, in a welding program or a related field, then consider applying for our scholarships. Scholarships are available for students attending trade schools, community colleges, and four-year universities. An AWS Foundation scholarship can be the extra push that helps you fulfill your goals!
AWS Foundation Scholarships are for tuition, fees, books, supplies, or equipment required for the course of instruction. Scholarship awards will be sent directly to the academic or training institution.
While scholarship applications do not open until December 1st, you can start preparing today. Here's what you'll need to apply:
- Personal Statement Essays
- General Background (Max 500 words) - Information about yourself and why you want to pursue a career in the welding industry.
- Work/Welding Experience (Max 250 Words) - Describe any prior experience you have with welding or other related fields.
- Career Objectives (Max 250 words)
- Transcripts - Secure a copy of your most recent transcript. Some scholarships require Official Transcripts, which must be sent electronically or by mail directly from your school or third-party provider.
- Financial Need Documentation - All scholarships require, at a minimum, a summary of expected expenses. Some scholarships require the applicant to have demonstrated financial need. To be considered as having "demonstrated financial need" you will need to upload part of your FAFSA that includes Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and documentation from your institution showing your tuition, fees, and expenses.
- References - Some scholarships require two Letters of Recommendation, but all applications would benefit by having them. Seek out individuals that know you well and may be able to provide a letter. These may be teachers or instructors, but could also be work supervisors, mentors, coaches, or other individuals that can attest to your work ethic and past accomplishments. At this point, you will be giving them a heads up that you plan to list them as a reference and would like them to provide a letter of recommendation. Once the application system opens, you will be able to provide their contact information and the system will send them an email requesting that they securely log-in and upload the letter or provide a written statement.
Applications open for 2022-23 Scholarships
Deadline to apply for National, District, and Section Scholarships
Selections made for National and District Scholarships
Selections made for Section Scholarships
More than 60 donor-funded scholarships, totaling over $200,000, are available for students pursuing a bachelor’s or associate degree in welding or a related discipline. Scholarships range from $2,000-$6,000+. Applicants are required to submit two references and official transcripts.
A minimum of $10,000 is available in each of AWS's 22 Districts for students pursuing a degree or certificate in a welding or welding-related program. Scholarships typically range from $1,000 to $2,500+.
Section and District Named Scholarships
Many AWS Sections have scholarships funded by local members, companies, and donors, designated for students in the Section. Scholarships range from $1,000-$3,000+.
Eligibility, application process, and deadlines vary for some Section Scholarships. Please check your local AWS Section website for additional information related to local scholarships. To find your section, visit www.aws.org/sections.
Welder Training Scholarships
December 1st - November 30th
Applications accepted for 2021-22 Welder Training Scholarships
January 15th - December 15th
Selections made on a rolling basis
The AWS Welder Training Scholarship is for students seeking training to become a welder in a certificate program less than two years in length at a trade school, community college, or other facility providing welder training.
In 2021, each AWS District has up to twenty (25) $1,000 scholarships to award.
Applications are accepted year-round and selections are made on a rolling basis until the District awards the designated funds for the year. The current application cycle is open to students attending school or training prior to September 2022.
Educator Professional Development Scholarships
Welding Educator Professional Development Scholarships are for current welding educators to pursue continuing education or professional development.
Deadline to apply is April 1.
International Scholarships are awarded to full-time international students pursuing undergraduate or graduate studies in joining sciences. Applicants can be matriculating in accredited joining science programs at an institution located anywhere in the world.