We’re here to help
If you need more information, help with your membership, details on how to advertise, or something else altogether, please reach out!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the status of my certification application?
There are three ways to check the status of your application.
- Web – Access your application by logging into your my.aws.org portal and selecting certifications from the left-hand menu.
- Contact Us – Call our automated line 24/7 at 305-443-9353 and select option 1. Have your phone or member number handy, as it is required to access your application status.
Note: This option is currently not available for our Certified Welder applicants.
- Customer Service – Call 305-443-9353 and select option 2 to reach our Customer Service Team (Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 7:00 PM EST). If calling after hours, email Customer Service at CustomerCare@aws.org.
Application statuses are defined as follows:
- Application Received: You submitted and paid for your application, which is in the waiting queue. The processing specialist will update its status once assigned. The volume of activity will dictate the timeframe in this stage, and you will be alerted to the next steps.
- Application Under Review: Your process specialist reviews the application and supporting documentation and confirms testing requirements are met. You will receive an email if missing information is identified. Once your application has been verified for eligibility, your application will advance to the next steps.
Note: Most processing delays occur in this part of the process. To minimize delays, review the requirements in detail and ensure the information provided demonstrates how you meet the requirements.
- Application Posted and Confirmed: Once your application has been approved, you will receive a Confirmation Letter. It outlines an eligibility code, study materials, policies, fees, and information on preparing for your exam. The application moves to the next step when all exam components are completed.
Note: The letter will be emailed to the address on file. Please validate the accuracy of the address to avoid delays. The length of time in this stage is based on the candidate’s exam schedule.
Credentials Ordered/Completed: Your exam has been scored and you will receive notification of the results via a Score Letter. The pending results of your exam(s) credentials have been ordered.
How do I renew my certification?
Certified Welders will exclusively renew their certifications online on a dedicated website: cw.aws.org. Applications outside of this medium are not accepted. You may renew up to 30 days prior to the expiration date, with a maximum grace period of 60 days after the expiration date. You are required to upload the Welder’s Maintenance of Certification Form
Other types of certifications, such as CWIs, CWEs, and others, will renew in the application portal. This portal streamlines the application process with a step-by-step wizard that will guide you. Existing Certifications, active or expired ones (in their grace period), may be found in the “Certifications” section of your profile dashboard. To start the renewal process, click on “application wizard” next to the certification you need to renew.
What is the status of my certification?
All AWS professional certifications can be verified online using our online certification “QuikCheck” tool.
You may find your certification number in your wallet card, accompanied by the expiration date.
It is also possible to check your own certification status in your profile dashboard. It can be accessed by logging into your AWS account: Member Log in. (From your AWS Profile Dashboard, you can manage/update your personal information and review the status of all the certifications you hold with AWS.
How do I apply for a certification?
For Certified Welders:
The first step towards becoming a Certified Welder is to contact your nearest Accredited Testing Facility (ATF), which can be found here. After selecting your preferred ATF, schedule your exam and become certified.
For Certified other than Certified Welders:
The best way to apply is online. From our online portal, you will be able to select the desired certification. The portal can be accessed here: Member Log in. and offers an application wizard. The wizard will assist you in selecting a seminar/testing package location, help in uploading all pertinent documents and submitting payment.
We encourage you to check our Course Catalog to assist your decision making.
Should you wish to apply via paper forms, you can still do so by mailing your application to American Welding Society 8669 NW 36 Street #130 Miami, Florida 33166-6672 or emailing it to email@example.com. All the certification forms are located here: https://www.aws.org/certification/documents. Be advised that non-portal applications are subject to a non-refundable processing fee of $125.00.
Where do I find forms to apply for certifications?
What is the status of my credentials?
For Certified Welders: Upon completion of the welding test, your results will be sent by your Accredited Testing Facility (ATF) to AWS Accreditation. Our team will process your qualifications and issue you a certification number. A wallet card can be mailed to your address within 4 – 6 weeks but you can also know the same day if you passed from your ATF.
If you are currently renewing your certification, your Maintenance of Welder form will be reviewed. After being reviewed and approved, your credentials will be mailed to you within 2 – 3 weeks. Your certification is renewed quickly following submitting the form. Check the status frequently with the “QuikCheck” tool: cloudweb2.aws.org/Certifications/Search/. An updated expiration date means your new card is on its way.
For other types of Certifications: If your score letter reflects a passing mark, credentials will be sent to you. Within 6 – 8 weeks after receiving the notice, your stamp will arrive, followed by your certificate and wallet card. In the interim, you may review your certification status in your profile dashboard: Member Log in or with the “QuikCheck” tools: cloudweb2.aws.org/Certifications/Search/.
Important: Please get in touch with us if you have not received any of your credentials within 120 days of obtaining your approval notification or passing score letter. After 120 days, you may incur additional charges to order a duplicate set of credentials. To avoid delays, ensure that the mailing address provided is correct.
How do I renew my membership?
Your membership can be easily managed in your AWS online account here: Member Log in. Once you are in your profile dashboard, proceed to the tab labeled “membership” then “update membership.” In this section, you will be able to update your personal information and renew your membership by submitting the payment.
AWS individual members can be renewed in terms of 1-year, 2-years, and 3-years.
Student and Early Career memberships can also be renewed in this section of the profile dashboard. You can upgrade your membership to an individual one.
What is the membership status?
Your membership can be easily managed in your AWS online account here: Member Log in. Once you are in your profile dashboard, proceed to the tab labeled “membership.” In this section, your membership data will be displayed including:
- Your Member Number or Member ID.
- The date you joined as a current AWS Member. This will help you determine your years of continuous AWS membership. For example, 35+ years of uninterrupted membership will make you a Life Member.
- The expiration date of your current membership.
- Your membership type (i.e., individual, corporate, etc.).
Your membership status (active or inactive). Expired memberships have a grace-period of 60 days (this allows you to renew without losing your continuous years of membership).
What are the qualification requirements for an AWS Certification?
For Certified Welders:
The following requirements must be met to participate in this program:
- Test in accordance with one of the QC7 standards below (whichever is applicable):
- QC7, Standard for AWS Certified Welders
- QC7, Supplement C, Welder Performance Qualification Sheet Metal Test Requirements
- QC7, Supplement F, Chemical Plant and Petroleum Refinery Piping
- QC7, Supplement G, AWS Performance Qualification Test (generic supplement)
- Complete a welder performance qualification test at an AWS Accredited Test Facility (ATF) Certified Welder Certification (domestic or international).
- Provide a completed Certified Welder Application for certification.
- Submit Maintenance of Welder Certification prior to expiration, which verifies that the welding process was used.
For other Professional Certifications: Find the qualification requirements for each certification found here.