Light a Spark Grant
Miller® and the AWS Foundation have partnered to establish the Light a Spark Grant. This grant provides a starter package of equipment and supplies to introduce welding into a high school Ag-Ed Program, Career and Technical Education Class, or Practical Skills Course. Up to 10 starter packages valued at more than $12,000 each will be awarded annually!
This application is not intended for secondary or post-secondary schools that have an existing welding program or course. Those institutions should review the Welder Workforce Grant for eligibility.
Deadline to apply online is December 15th, 2019
To be eligible, high schools must have:
- Facility space presently available to house equipment, supplies, and conduct training
- Faculty currently on staff qualified to provide instruction
Secondary or post-secondary schools that have an existing welding program or course are not eligible.
The application requires:
- Program Qualification
- Current Program Description and Expected Outcomes
- Instructor Qualification
- Student Impact
- Commitments of Additional Support
- Letter of Commitment from School or District
- Letters of Support (optional but preferred)
Welding Starter Pack
Winning schools will receive a turnkey Miller® welding starter pack valued at more than $12,000!
The pack will include the following items (subject to change):
- Millermatic 220 AC/DC Powersource - ability to perform GTAW, GMAW, & SMAW welding processes
- Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma cutter
- Oxy-fuel Welding & Cutting Outfit; including cutting & heating tips
- SMAW, GMAW, & GTAW whips with consumable kit.
- Welding Cart, Arcstation welding table, fume extractor, and safety screens
- PPE & Hand tools; including welding gloves, jacket, auto darkening helmet, chipping hammer, wire brush, and more
*Awardees will have the option to purchase alternative equipment and supplies worth up to $10,000. If choosing this option, awardee must submit an itemized budget with quotes and receipts subject to approval by the AWS Foundation.
Requirements if Selected
Measures of Success
AWS Foundation will audit the success of the project throughout the term of funding, at intervals determined by AWS Foundation. A summary of progress-to-date with specific, detailed information will be required. A final report, including recap of program implementation and number of students impacted, will be required.
Become a Skilled Tradeperson
The demand for most trades is strong and getting stronger. The U.S. Department of Labor forecasts healthy growth in the neighborhood of 8 to 9 percent over the next decade. Jobs associated with building and rebuilding roads, bridges, water, and the power grid are expected to grow by double-digit percentages–faster than the overall economy.