The AWS Foundation is pleased to announce the launch of new online application.
The AWS Foundation does not discriminate by age, race, color, national origin, disability, creed or gender.
District Scholarship applications open December 1, 2018.
The purpose of the District Scholarship program is to promote welding education on a district level.
- Most importantly, you must be enrolled in a welding-related educational or training program.
- You must be a high school graduate or possess a GED equivalent.
- You must reside in and attend school within the boundaries of an AWS District, which includes the Continental United States and portions of Canada and Mexico. View the AWS District and Section Map here.
- You must complete the scholarship application and provide any additional documentation as required by the application’s instructions.
- Some District Scholarships require you to be an AWS member while others do not. To apply for an AWS Student Membership, please visit the Student Membership page.
For specific eligibility requirements, please refer to the specific scholarship application by visiting the Scholarship Application System.
The deadline for receiving applications at the Foundation office is March 1st. Scholarships are usually awarded from May to June; the funds are made available for the coming fall term.
Filling out the scholarship application is a relatively easy process. The form is self-explanatory; it clearly states what kind of information is needed to apply. Make sure that you fill out the form completely. The more information you provide, the easier it will be for the District Scholarship Committee to determine your eligibility.
In addition to completing the application, you will need to enclose the following:
- Statement of Unmet Financial Need
You must attach the Statement of Unmet Need Form, which must be completed by the financial aid office at your school indicating your current student budget, needs analysis, and financial aid awards—including scholarships.
You must submit official scholastic records or grade transcripts showing you attended a high school, trade school, college or university.
- Personal Statement
Write down your ambitions, goals, background and other factors that will help the selection committee understand your commitment to pursuing welding education. If you have had prior welding experience, you must indicate how your proposed welding curriculum and chosen school will help you fulfill your educational goals.
- Biography and Photo
One of the criteria for receiving financial aid is that you must share your successes with others. Be prepared to submit a photograph of yourself and a brief biography to help in preparing a student success story to promote future scholarship programs.
- The District Scholarship Committee determines who receives each District Scholarship.
- All correspondence about District Scholarships will come via mail. You will receive a letter informing you of the District Scholarship Committee’s decision about whether or not you’ve received a District Scholarship.
The scholarship funds awarded through the AWS District Scholarship Program can be used for tuition costs, books, supplies and related institutional costs. They will be payable directly to the recipient’s school.
It’s Important to Remember
- An approved scholarship is valid for the entire fiscal year (June – May 31). That means if you decide not to use your scholarship for the fall semester, you could still use the funds during the spring term of the same fiscal year.
- If you do not use the entire scholarship during the fiscal year, the remainder will be returned to the AWS Foundation Scholarship Fund.
- You will need to apply (or re-apply) if you want to receive a district scholarship during any given year. In other words, if you want to receive a scholarship next year (after receiving one this year), you must re-apply in order to be considered for an award. Scholarship recipients are selected by the District Scholarship Committee.
- If you change your field of study to something other than welding, you will forfeit any future assistance from the AWS Foundation.
- If you receive a scholarship during a certain fiscal year, AWS is not obligated to continue financial assistance for subsequent years.
If you have any questions, please contact the AWS Foundation.