Certified Welding Inspector
Earning your Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) credential is serious work and has a significant impact on your future. When it comes to preparing for the CWI exam, the stakes are too high to waste valuable time and money.
The AWS CWI Seminar puts you on the track to success, exclusively offering:
- industry expert instructors with the knowledge to prepare you to pass the exam
- guided instruction material, including homework, that helps take the mystery out of the new Part B Exam
- mini- and full practice exams designed to build your confidence for the pace and format of the exam
- realistic replica training sets to prepare you for the hands-on portion of the exam
- an AWS Welding Inspector’s Toolkit to keep as your own ($195 value)
- a complimentary copy of D1.1:2015 for seminar/exam registrants testing to D1.1 ($548 value) and a complimentary copy of the Code Clinic Reference Manual ($84 value)
- a complimentary copy of the API Code Clinic Study Guide for registrants testing to API 1104 ($84 value)
Combining industry expertise with real-time application, AWS Education Seminars provide the most realistic, engaging and effective test-prep solutions for career success.
Get the Most out of your CWI Investment
A CWI is expected to have a wide range of knowledge and skills. The AWS online CWI seminar helps you prepare for the live CWI Seminar at your own convenience. Comprised of six comprehensive online courses, the CWI Online Pre-Seminar is designed to prepare you for the extensive body of knowledge reviewed during the live Seminar. Each self-paced course is divided into short, interactive modules with quizzes, tests, and learning activities that map to the skills and knowledge points needed to become a CWI. Learn more at: awo.aws.org/seminars/precwi/
CWI Seminar Week Preview
The seminar week begins with an introduction an review of all facets of welding processes and nondestructive examination. This content pertains to concepts addressed in the “closed-book” Part A portion of the CWI Exam.
BY ATTENDING, YOU CAN LEARN:
- Safe Practices.
- Metal Joining and Cutting Processes.
- Terminology and Weld Joint Geometry and Welding Symbols.
- Documents Governing Welding Inspection and Qualification.
- Metal Properties and Destructive Testing.
- Metric Practices.
- Welding Metallurgy.
- Evaluation of Weld and Base Metal Discontinuities.
- VT and Other NDE Methods and Symbols.
Expert instructors review the exam’s Book of Specifications in detail. As a group, students analyze and apply WPS’s, PQR’s and WPQR’s to effectively answer test-like questions. Several hours of hands-on learning with inspection tools and high-quality plastic weld replicas are a highlight for attendees. The seminar week includes a full-length, timed practice examination to prepare candidates for the CWI practical exam.
INSTRUCTORS ASSIST YOU TO LEARN:
- How to use weld measuring instruments.
- Compliance to a specific code.
- Do's and don'ts of documentation.
- When a discontinuity is OK.
- When a defect is rejectable.
- Why visual inspection can be the most effective NDE technique.
Addressing both D1.1(2015) and API 1104 (21st Edition)
This instruction provides a "road map" through the code or standard, emphasizing the ability to locate important paragraphs, charts and tables quickly, which is crucial to understanding the code when working under stressful deadlines. In addition to practice questions, a practice exam will be administered, and the instructor will illustrate the use of the Code under time constraints, creating deadline pressure similar to the test environment. Students will attend the portion of the seminar pertaining to their codebook selection and will have time for self-study while the other group in in the classroom.
- How to correctly interpret specifying documents.
- Sure-fire methods to avoid common pitfalls with any code.
- The proper terminology that gets you the right section of the code – quickly.
- How to use any code, standard or specification by understanding the core of the problem or question.
What Are People Saying About AWS Prep Courses?
"Our instructor at the preparatory seminar did a great job and really helped us to have a much better understanding in all areas. The class is money well spent."
"The AWS CWI exam is an excellent test and it's a certification that I am proud to carry."
"I'll have anyone who reads this know I am proud and excited to have attained the CWI status."
"I deal with multiple client specifications on a daily basis and one requirement that has become more frequent is that a CWI be required to sign off on the visual inspection of our product, which is pipe fabrication."
"Dave Diaz was my instructor. I received very high marks on my test and attribute that to his abilities as a teacher."
"The instructor, Scott Helzer, did an excellent job of preparing the candidates."
"Your staff responded quickly, courteously, and I felt that they wanted me to become a member and achieve CWI status. In short, they were great!”
The Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) exams are held on the Saturday following the seminar week at the same seminar location. Sign-in for applicants begins at 7:30 am with the Test Supervisor/Instructor beginning promptly at 8:00 am. You are required to show a valid driver's license or passport and a copy of your confirmation letter in order to gain entrance to the examination. All exam questions are multiple choice, and each part of the exam is two hours long. A description of each part follows:
Part A: Fundamentals
Closed book test; 150 questions.
Part B: Practical
Hands-on test; 46 questions; use Book of Specifications.
Part C: Open Code Book
Open book test; number of questions can vary (46-60) on the code you previously selected.