Demonstrate Your Teaching Expertise
The AWS program for the certification of Welding Educators has been developed to define minimum standards for welding educators and to provide respected recognition for those who demonstrate the skills, knowledge, and experience needed:
- Welding educators understand welding training requirements; prepare instruction plans; conduct training classes; and evaluate student performance
- They may be using prepared instructional materials or develop their own original instructional materials
- They are familiar with welding processes, welding procedures, welder qualifications, materials and the limitations of weld testing
- They must be able to read drawings, prepare records and develop reports
Exams for both a Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) and a Certified Welding Educator (CWE) are identical. However, the Part C - Code Book portion is not required for CWE certification. The CWI and CWE certifications may be earned simultaneously.
Please visit the Certified Welding Inspector Certification webpage to access the CWI/CWE Exam Application. It is mandatory that you submit the CWE Welding Instructor Credentials form along with the completed CWI/CWE Exam Application.
CURRENT SCWI, CWI and CAWI
If you are a current SCWI, CWI or CAWI, and you meet the Certified Welding Educator criteria outlined below, no testing is required for the CWE certification. Simply:
- Complete the CWE Short Form Application
- Teach full or part-time in a classroom environment
- Maintain a valid welder certificate
- Obtain a written recommendation from your teaching supervisor that attests to your teaching qualifications and ability
Initial CWE Exam Application
CWE Renewal/Non-Exam Application
CWE to CWI Application
Retest Application for CAWI, CWI, CWE, or CWI/CWE
QC5, AWS Standard for the Certification of Welding Educators
|AWS Publications||Order Number|
|Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors||CM:2000|
|Welding Inspection Handbook||WI:2015|
|* D1.1/D1.1M Structural Welding Code-Steel||D1.1/D1.1M:2015|
|* D1.1 Code Clinic Reference Manual||D1.1 CCRM:2015|
|* API 1104 Study Guide for API Standard 1104 Welding of Pipelines||API-M:2017|
|* Welding Inspection Technology||WIT-T:2008|
|* Welding Inspection Technology (Workbook)||WIT-W:2008|
|* Welding Inspection Technology Sample CWI Fundamentals Examination & Key||WIT-E:2008|
|* Standard Welding Terms and Definitions||A3.0M/A3.0:2010|
|* Standard Symbols for Welding, Brazing, and Nondestructive Examination||A2.4:2012|
|* Guide for the Nondestructive Examination of Welds||B1.10M/B1.10:2016|
Specification for the Qualification of Welding Inspectors
|*Books are provided to participants of the AWS Seminar week|
ADA Disability Accommodations
AWS Bank Information
Certification Duplicate Order Form
Change of Site/Cancellation Form
CWE Welding Instructor Credentials Form
Employment Verification Form
Exam Security Agreement and General Term of Use Form
Policies and Fees
Qualifying Work Experience Form
Photo ID Requirements
|Examination||Minimum number of questions||Minimum percentage|
|Part A: FUNDAMENTALS||150||60%|
|Part B: PRACTICAL||46||60%|
Please use CWI Schedule Here to check dates to test to your Part B exam.
AWS Certification Test Supervisor
Interested in becoming an AWS Test Supervisor for Certification? Become part of the AWS team and join in our efforts to maintain the integrity of our various certification programs. Download and read the forms below for more information and how to qualify.
If you're a veteran with G.I. Bill Benefits, and you're looking for a good job, or you want to change jobs, or if you want to move ahead in your present job, licensing or certification may hold the key for you!
The AWS Certified Welding Educator is required to renew his/her certification every four years. The CWE must meet the following requirements for renewal:
- Complete the CWE renewal application.
- Attest to two years of activity in welding education practice, or in related activities as defined in AWS QC5, AWS Standard for Certification of Welding Educators, during their four-year certification.
Please visit the documents tab to access the CWE renewal application.
The CWE certification does not have any recertification requirements: only renewal requirements.
- Online Application
- Application Tracker
- Check Application Status
- Confirm Seminar
- Update Your Profile
General Program Links
Benefits of Certification
Certification Price List
Policies and Fees
Seminar and Exam Schedules
List of AWS Open-book Exam References and Editions
Document and Form Library
Computer Based Testing Information
2022 International Exam Schedule
Qualification and Certification Committees
Frequently Asked Questions