Add Valuable Career Credentials: Certify Your Radiographic Expertise
The purpose of radiographic interpretation is to properly assess indications produced on radiographic media during the process of evaluating weldments or adjacent base metal. Radiographic interpreters must be thoroughly familiar with all aspects of the process of radiography, as well as the welding and casting process.
Your certification as an AWS Certified Radiographic Interpreter demonstrates your ability to analyze radiographs of weldments, and that you have met the requirements of AWS B5.15:2010, Specification for the Qualification of Radiographic Interpreters.
Do You Qualify?
In order to take the examination as a Certified Radiographic Interpreter, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Visual Requirements. Good near-vision is necessary to perform the functions of the radiographic interpreter. The inability to differentiate relatively small indications on radiographic film may result in allowing weldments or adjacent base metal with rejectable defects to be placed into service. You must pass an eye examination, with or without corrective lenses, to prove near-vision acuity on Jaeger J2 letters at not less than 12 inches in each eye. The eye exam must be administered by qualified personnel and must be performed not more than seven months prior to the date of the successful completion of the exam or recertification.
- Education Requirements. A valid high school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED).
- Training Requirements. A minimum of 40 hours of organized training in radiographic interpretation/ examination (fulfilled by the AWS CRI Seminar) related to the topics covered in the seminar.
- Experience Requirements. At least one year of experience as a company-certified or nationally-certified individual in radiographic interpretation, or the performance of radiographic interpretation under the direct supervision of such an individual, is required. In some cases, a maximum of six months of other NDE experience or education can be substituted for radiographic interpretation experience
CRI Certification can also be used as an endorsement credit:
If you are a CWI or SCWI and you successfully pass your exam for CRI certification, this endorsement makes your existing certification even more valuable. It can also exempt you from your next 9-year CWI or SCWI Recertification Exam. Certified Welding Inspectors often find themselves required to use their skills in the interpretation of radiographs. The AWS Radiographic Interpreter program helps them expand their credentials in a related inspection skill.
Initial CRI Exam Application
Retest Application for CRI
Renewal Application for CRI
CRI 9-Year Application
QC15 - Specification for the Certification of Radiographic Interpreters
English | Amendment Notice
B5.15 - Specification for the Qualification of Radiographic Interpreters
ADA Disability Accommodations
AWS Bank Information
Certification Duplicate Order Form
Change of Site/Cancellation Form
Employment Verification Form
Exam Security Agreement and General Term of Use Form
Policies and Fees
Qualifying Work Experience Form
Visual Acuity Form
Photo ID Requirements
If you're a veteran with G.I. Bill Benefits, and you're looking for a good job, or you want to change jobs, or if you want to move ahead in your present job, licensing or certification may hold the key for you!
Body of Knowledge
The AWS Certified Radiographic Interpreter is required to renew his/her certification every three years. The CRI must provide evidence of continuous satisfactory technical performance by performing the following:
- Submit evidence of a current satisfactory vision examination
- Satisfy one of the following:
- Submit documented evidence of at least 2 months (350 hours) experience performing specific duties of a CRI as described in AWS B5.15. The documentation must be attested to by the employer or client for whom the duties were performed. This experience shall have been performed during the immediate preceding three-year certification interval.
- Submit documented evidence of at least 4 weeks (160 hours) of teaching experience in radiographic interpretation covering the body of knowledge as described in AWS B5.15. The documentation must be attested to by the employer or client for whom the teaching was performed.
- Successfully complete the current practical (film interpretation) examination.
Please visit the documents tab to access the CRI renewal application.
The AWS Certified Radiographic Interpreter is required to recertify his/her certification every nine years. The CRI must successfully complete the Part B portion of the CRI exam and pass with the minimum percentage requirements as defined in AWS QC15:2008, Specification for the Certification of Radiographic Interpreters.
Please visit the documents tab to access the CRI 9-year recertification application.