Jobs in Welding
Shipfitters fabricate and layout metal for building and repairing ships. They work for private companies as well naval shipyards.
A shipfitter can be tasked with building, maintaining, and repairing small boats such as towboats and tugboats, as well as container ships, icebreakers, and ocean liners.
Military shipfitters work on aircraft carriers, tankers, and submarines.
- Understand shipyard operation and safety protocol
- Fitting, setting, and installing fabricated maritime structures
- Cutting and welding with a variety of processes
- Metal forming, bending, finishing, and rigging
- Ability to weld, repair, design, and layout plate or pipe materials
- Ability to work in shop/field environments and sometimes heights
Education and training that can lead
to a successful career may include:
Associates degree in welding, metals fabrication, machining, etc.
High school diploma or equivalent
AWS Certified Welder
Certificate in welding, metals fabrication, machining, etc.
Related naval or shipyard work experience
Jason Hammer, a welding apprentice at Rhoads Industries explains how he got his start in welding and it has unfolded into a successful career working as a welder in the shipyard. Click the video to see more.
Want to see more career spotlight videos? Check all of them out Here!
- Strong mechanical and mathematical aptitude
- Adapt to changes quickly and seamlessly
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work efficiently in all types of weather conditions
- Knowledge of blueprints, welding symbols, piping components, and field welding techniques
As a pipeliner, you should also expect to travel extensively, as pipeline construction can take place anywhere in the world; from heavy populated cities to remote high mountain deserts. Opportunities are also available in shop environments.
The heat map below showcases the total number of job postings for Shipfitters in the last twelve months by state. As shown, the darker the color of the state, the higher the concentration of job postings. The heat map is intended to provide insight into areas where Shipfitter careers are currently in demand.