DO YOU QUALIFY?
To qualify as a Certified Welding Inspector, you must pass a vision test and have a combination of qualifying education and work experience, with supporting documentation:
|MINIMUM EDUCATION||MINIMUM WORK EXPERIENCE|
|Associate or higher degree in engineering technology, engineering, or a physical science||3 years|
|High school diploma plus two or more years engineering/technical school courses||3 years|
|High school diploma plus one year engineering/technical school courses or one or more years of vocational education and training in a welding curriculum||4 years|
|High school diploma or approved high school equivalency diploma||5 years|
|At least 8th grade||9 years|
|Less than 8th grade||12 years|
International Candidates click here.
Initial CAWI/CWI Exam Application
Initial CWI/CWE Exam Application
Retest Application for CAWI, CWI, CWE, or CWI/CWE
Renewal Application CWI/SCWI 3rd and 6th Year
Upgrade from CAWI to CWI Application
Recertification Application for CWI 9th Year
For CWI exams held WITHIN the US or Canada:
2016 Part B Examination Book of Specifications
For CWI exams held OUTSIDE the US or Canada:
Part B Examination Book of Specifications
Spanish | Portuguese | Russian | Chinese | Arabic
Note: To obtain the English version of the Part B Examination Book of Specifications, please contact your Agent.
QC1:2016 - Specification for AWS Certification of Welding Inspectors
(Effective Jan 1st, 2017)
B5.1 - Specification for the Qualification of Welding Inspectors
40 Hour Retest Training Log
ADA Disability Accommodations
AWS Bank Information
Certification Duplicate Order Form
Change of Site/Cancellation Form
CWE Welding Instructor Credentials Form
Employment Verification Form
Exam Audit Request Form
Photo ID Requirements
Policies and Fees
Qualifying Work Experience Form
Visual Acuity Record
Photo ID Requirements
|Initial CAWI Exam
– Add CWE Exam
|CWI by Reciprocity with CWB or INWC||500||715|
|CWI or CWI/CWE (Per Part)||275||***275|
|CWI or CWI/CWE (All Parts)||595||810|
CWI D1.1 Seminar and Exam Package
CWI API-1104 Seminar and Exam Package
|Clinics / Seminars / Workshops||Member||*Non–Member|
|AWS D1.1 Seminar Week Pak||1665||1898|
|API-1104 Seminar Week Pak||1665||1898|
|Seminar Retake (2015 attendees)||1045||~1045|
|Seminar Retake (2016 attendees)||845||845|
|AWS D1.1 Code Clinic||395||628|
|API-1104 Code Clinic||395||628|
|Welding Inspection Technology Workshop||465||698|
|Visual Inspection Workshop||665||898|
|CWI Pre-Seminar (online course)||865||***1150|
|Welding Fundamentals (online course)||300||***300|
|CWI 3rd and 6th Year Renewal by Work Experience||470||685|
|CWI 3rd and 6th Year Renewal by Examination||745||960|
|CWB or INWC Renewal by Reciprocity||430||645|
|CWI Part B Exam||870||1085|
|CWI Part B Exam and Visual Inspection Workshop||1270||1503|
|CWI Endorsement Exam||870||1085|
|CWI 9yr Course||1705||1938|
NOTE: PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
* Non-Member price includes a 3-year AWS Individual Membership unless otherwise noted.
***No additional membership included with this price.
~ New tool kit for the updated Part B will be supplied to those 2015 attendees who are eligible for a seminar retake in 2016. No additional membership included with this price.
To view full price list click here.
To view the Exam Schedule click here.
AWS Certification Test Supervisor
Interested in becoming an AWS Test Supervisor for Certification? Become part of the AWS team and join in our efforts to maintain the integrity of our various certification programs. Download and read the forms below for more information and how to qualify.
If you're a veteran with G.I. Bill Benefits and seeking a new job or striving to move ahead in your present job, licensing or certification may hold the key for you!
Body of Knowledge
The renewal process is part of your continued certification according to QC1.. Please check the appropriate box at the top left corner of the application for which it is being used. Please complete the application accordingly and submit to AWS before your certification expiration date. For further information concerning the CWI Renewal, please refer to QC1.
(Be sure to check the Renewal box at the top of application):
Please be aware that it is your responsibility to renew your certification before it expires. You will not be allowed to renew your certification after the expiration date. In order to renew after your certification has expired, you will be required to test on all parts of the CWI examination.
To qualify for a renewal, all CWI applicants must attest to having no continuous inactivity two years or greater, of the three-year certification period, in the practice of welding inspection or related activities as defined in QC1. This work experience must be documented in the Qualifying Work Experience section of the application. Résumés are not acceptable.
For CAWI’s Eligible for Upgrade:
CAWI applicants whose scores on each part of the examination met the requirements of a CWI but lacked the mandatory (5) years experience are eligible for a CWI upgrade provided that the CAWI status is still current. Please document any additional experience you have had since initially taking the CWI/CWE examination in the Qualifying Work Experience section of the application. Certification personnel will review the additional experience to ensure that the (5) year requirement has been met.
For CAWI’s Eligible for Upgrade and Renewal:
CWI upgrades and renewals can be done simultaneously. If you are interested in applying for a CWI upgrade and your current certification is soon to expire, you may apply for both the CWI Upgrade and the Renewal at the same time. Your certification will be renewed for an additional (3) years at the CWI level.
Please visit the documents tab to access the CWI renewal application.
As an AWS Certified Welding Inspector, you must renew your certification every three years. Every nine years, you must recertify, by one of the following options:
- 9-Year Recertification by Part B Practical Exam: The two-hour Part B Practical Exam will evaluate you in the practical aspects of weld inspection and establish that your skills are current. It is to your advantage to be familiar with fillet and butt weld gauges, micrometers and dial calipers. You should review a variety of weldments that show various levels of porosity and undercut. Be prepared to interpret bend samples and calculate tensile strengths.
- 9-Year Recertification by Endorsement: You can take an endorsement exam to recertify. You can apply for this option up to (6) months prior to your expiration date. Passing one of these exams meets the requirements for recertification. Endorsements require passing a two-hour exam on one of the following:
AWS D1.1 Structural Steel
AWS D1.2 Structural Aluminum
AWS D1.5 Bridges
AWS D15.1 Railroad
AWS D17.1 Aerospace
API 1104 Pipelines
ASME Section IX, B31.1 and B31.3 Boiler & Pressure Vessel
ASME Section VIII, Div. 1 & Section IX Boiler & Pressure Vessel
Structural Drawing Reading
Important Note: AWS QC1 defines endorsements as "Indication of an additional skill documented in writing and added to one's certification credential(s)". In fulfilling the 9-year recertification requirement, endorsements cannot be taken to the codebook to which your CWI certification was attained
- 9-Year Recertification by Accumulated Continuing Education: If you have kept yourself up to date in the inspection profession by attending classes and seminars related to welding, your education requirements may be satisfied. You need 80 contact hours (PDHs) of seminars, courses or online courses such as those found through American Welding Online (awo.aws.org) that meet the requirements of QC1 Section 16.
The course content must be in one or more of the subject areas as defined in the Education and Experience Requirements of the B5.1, Specification for the Qualification of Welding Inspectors Section 5.
- Endorsements or Certifications Achieved Prior to 9-Year Recertification:
- Endorsements: Certified Welding Inspectors who have previously taken and passed one or more endorsement exams prior to the nine-year cycle may apply for recertification without having to meet further examination, professional development hour, or seminar requirements.
- Certified Radiographic Interpreter: At any time during your nine-year cycle, if you meet the prerequisites, you can apply to become certified as an AWS Certified Radiographic Interpreter (CRI). This is a valuable certification that fulfills your nine-year requirement.
- 9-Year Recertification Course: If your certification expires within the next seven (7) months and you aren’t going to recertify through examination or haven’t accumulated 80 PDHs in the past nine years, the AWS 9-year recertification course is for you. Upon completion of the course, you will receive an AWS Certificate of Completion for the course. Your new wallet card, certificate, and stamp will be mailed to you. Your certification number and renewal month will not change.
Note: DO NOT mail the full 9yr Recertification application if completing the online registration.
DID YOU KNOW...
CWI applicants in their ninth year of certification who qualify and wish to earn a Senior Certified Welding Inspector SCWI can apply for both SCWI and CWI 9YR Recertification. If taking either the endorsement or Part B option for CWI 9YR recertification, both the SCWI and CWI 9YR exam can be taken at the same exam location.
If recertifying via continuing education, it is recommended you submit the completed CWI 9-year Recertification application with supporting documentation ,along with your SCWI Exam application. This ensures that your CWI credential does not expire if you do not achieve SCWI.
AWS must receive your completed SCWI application and review your qualifications to make sure you are eligible to take the SCWI exam.