A pictorial history of welding as seen through the pages of the Welding Journal
Page 4 of 6
Austenitic stainless steel was the metal of choice as the membrane material for the liquefied natural gas (LNG) tanks Newport News Shipbuilding welded in 1979. These "waffle" membranes were called for in the Technigaz design from France. Some 30 miles of gas tungsten arc welding was used for the membranes of each of the three tankers build by Newport News. The filler metal was Type 308L stainless steel. Some 150 Cyber-Tig power sources from Hobart Brothers Co. were used on this project.
In 1922, a pipe laying crew sets out for a day's work. Pipeline activity had undoubtedly been triggered by the discovery in 1918 and 1919 of the Panhandle natural gas field in Potters County, TX and the Hugoton field in southwest Kansas. The Panhandle field contained 1.6 million acrea. By 1920, the first commercially produced pipe having electric welded longitudinal seams made its debut in the marketplace.
In the 1920's, electric arc welding was starting to be used in the field to make repairs on costly equipment. In this picture a welder used bare wire steel electrodes to make a repair in a steam shovel dragline bucket. The bare electrode remained the main tool for electric welding until the early 1930s when it started to be replaced by the covered or shielded manual arc electrode.
By 1984, the self-shielded version of flux cored arc welding was becoming more evident in the erection of high-rise buildings throughout the country. IN the field, it was proving to be very competitive with gas-shielded welding processes. Perched high atop the Georgia-Pacific headquarters in Atlanta, a welder is shown depositing a critical structural joint. The process was the Innershield method from The Lincoln Electric Co.<