International Professionals: Apply for Reciprocity
Canadian Welding Inspectors (CWB)
Canadian Welding Inspectors who have successfully completed the Canadian Standard CSA W178.2 examination and is currently holding a valid Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) card may apply for the AWS CWI certification through the Reciprocity Program. The Canadian Welding Bureau level II is equivalent to the AWS Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) and level I is equivalent to the Certified Associate Welding Inspector (CAWI).
Under the Reciprocity Program, these individuals are eligible for the Certified Welding Inspector or Certified Associate Welding Inspector certification.
To apply for Reciprocity, please complete the Reciprocity Application (Be sure to check the “1st Time Reciprocity” box in the upper left hand corner of the application). Attach a copy of your CWB certificate card that confirms you are certified to the Canadian Standard CSA W178.2 and shows a current expiration date.
Israeli Welding Inspectors (INWC)
Israeli Welding Inspectors who have successfully completed the INWC certification examination and currently holding a valid INWC certification certificate are eligible to apply for the AWS CWI certification through the Reciprocity Program. Inspectors holding AWS CWI certification may also apply to INWC to gain ICWI certification.
AWS will solely be responsible for issuing CWI certification materials. If the INWC welding inspector wishes to maintain their AWS certification independently, they must apply as a new candidate to AWS, pay full fees, and submit to the full requirements of certification (QC1: Standard for AWS Certification of Welding Inspectors).
To apply for Reciprocity, please complete the Reciprocity Application (Be sure to check the “1st Time Reciprocity” box in the upper left hand corner of the application). Attach a copy of your ICWI certificate card that confirms you are ICWI certified and shows a current expiration date.
Program Forms and Document Downloads
Photo ID Requirements
AWS adopts the same guidelines for photos as does the U.S. Department of State for passport photos. The following guidelines are borrowed and modified from the U.S. Department of State website.
Your photo is a vital part of your application. To learn more, review the information below on how to provide a suitable photo to avoid processing delays. The acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the AWS.
We recommend you use a professional passport photo service to ensure your photo meets all the requirements.
If you are applying for a Certification, you must provide one (1) passport-style photograph. Your photo must be:
- In color
- Printed on photo quality paper
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Including the full head from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin and the top of the shoulders
- Center the head with the frame
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis:
- Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device or similar articles, they may be worn for your photo.
- Dark glasses or non-prescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required)
- Glare on glasses is not acceptable in your photo. Glare can be avoided with a slight downward tilt of the glasses or by removing the glasses or by turning off the camera flash.
Photos may be rejected and a new one requested if the photo has any of the following deficiencies:
- Shadows on the face or in the background
- Poor contrast (too bright, too dark)
- Poor coloring
- Poor focus
- Poor resolution (discernible pixels)
- Poor exposure (over or under)
- Noticeable tilt of the head
Photos copied or digitally scanned from driver's licenses or other official documents are not acceptable. In addition, snapshots, magazine photos, low quality vending machine or mobile phone photos, and full-length photographs are not acceptable
Want to take the photo yourself?
While we recommend you use a professional passport photo service to ensure your photo meets all the requirements, you may take the photo yourself. Hand-held self-portraits are not acceptable. Photos must not be digitally enhanced or altered to change your appearance in any way. Please use reliable references for guidance on taking your own photo. There are several online software tools for this purpose. It is your responsibility to ensure the tool you use produces a photo that meets AWS specifications.
Examination results will NOT be released until we receive the 2 x 2 inch color passport-style photograph. To avoid delays in receiving your examination results, please mail your photo to the address listed below:
American Welding Society Certification Department Photo Center
8669 NW 36 Street, Suite 130
Miami, FL 33166-6672
We recommend using priority mail with tracking options.
|CWI by Reciprocity with CWB or INWC||500||715|
NOTE: PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
* Non-Member price includes a 3-year AWS Individual Membership unless otherwise noted.
Please refer to the following link for individual certifications: Price List
If you're a veteran with G.I. Bill Benefits, and you're looking for a good job, or you want to change jobs, or if you want to move ahead in your present job, licensing or certification may hold the key for you!
The renewal of your certification is part of the process of maintaining your certification in accordance with AWS QC1, Standard for AWS Certification of Welding Inspectors. In order to maintain your certification status with AWS, you must submit a Reciprocity application and check the box Reciprocity Renewal with proof of continued CWB certification prior to your AWS CWI expiration date.
Please visit the documents tab to access the Reciprocity application.