Your Mark of Industry Excellence
Welding sales representatives serve a very important function in the welding industry. They are the conduit for information concerning new technologies that can improve the productivity, reliability, and quality of welding processes. Knowledgeable welding sales representatives also offer manufacturers invaluable technical support and guidance in the appropriate application of welding technologies.
Provided you meet the program's requirements, you can take a two-hour exam to establish your credentials. AWS also offers an online seminar and examination package combination. The online seminar will not only prepare you for the exam, it can also enhance your professional knowledge.
How to Qualify
Prerequisites to qualify for the AWS Certified Welding Sales Representative program include a high school diploma or equivalent and at least five years of experience in an occupational function in direct relation to the sales of welding equipment, cutting equipment, and supplies and other related services.
If you have less than five years of experience, you can still qualify by submitting verifiable proof of at least two years’ experience, along with a training certificate of completion for welding processes, cutting processes and filler metals.
Completion of the AWS Certified Welding Sales Representative seminar fulfills the training certificate requirement. By taking the seminar, a Sales Representative with between two and five years of relevant experience would be qualified.
Initial CWSR Onsite Exam Application
Retest Application for CWSR Onsite Application
Renewal Application for CWSR
QC14 - Specification for the Certification of Welding Sales Representatives
B5.14 - Specification for the Qualification of Welding Sales Representatives
Photo ID Requirements
AWS adopts the same guidelines for photos as does the U.S. Department of State for passport photos. The following guidelines are borrowed and modified from the U.S. Department of State website.
Your photo is a vital part of your application. To learn more, review the information below on how to provide a suitable photo to avoid processing delays. The acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the AWS.
We recommend you use a professional passport photo service to ensure your photo meets all the requirements.
If you are applying for a Certification, you must provide one (1) passport-style photograph. Your photo must be:
- In color
- Printed on photo quality paper
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Including the full head from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin and the top of the shoulders
- Center the head with the frame
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis:
- Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device or similar articles, they may be worn for your photo.
- Dark glasses or non-prescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required)
- Glare on glasses is not acceptable in your photo. Glare can be avoided with a slight downward tilt of the glasses or by removing the glasses or by turning off the camera flash.
Photos may be rejected and a new one requested if the photo has any of the following deficiencies:
- Shadows on the face or in the background
- Poor contrast (too bright, too dark)
- Poor coloring
- Poor focus
- Poor resolution (discernible pixels)
- Poor exposure (over or under)
- Noticeable tilt of the head
Photos copied or digitally scanned from driver's licenses or other official documents are not acceptable. In addition, snapshots, magazine photos, low quality vending machine or mobile phone photos, and full-length photographs are not acceptable
Want to take the photo yourself?
While we recommend you use a professional passport photo service to ensure your photo meets all the requirements, you may take the photo yourself. Hand-held self-portraits are not acceptable. Photos must not be digitally enhanced or altered to change your appearance in any way. Please use reliable references for guidance on taking your own photo. There are several online software tools for this purpose. It is your responsibility to ensure the tool you use produces a photo that meets AWS specifications.
Examination results will NOT be released until we receive the 2 x 2 inch color passport-style photograph. To avoid delays in receiving your examination results, please mail your photo to the address listed below:
- American Welding Society Certification Department Photo Center
8669 NW 36 Street, Suite 130
Miami, FL 33166-6672
We recommend using priority mail with tracking options.
|CERTIFIED WELDING SALES REPRESENTATIVE (CWSR)||Member||Non–Member*|
|CWSR Onsite Exam Only||275||355 **|
|CWSR Onsite Retest (Per Part)||275||275 ***|
|CWSR Online Seminar and Exam Package||450||600|
|CWSR Online Retake Seminar and Exam Package||350||370 ***|
|CWSR Renewal||275||275 ***|
NOTE: PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
* Non-Member price includes a 3-year AWS Individual Membership unless otherwise noted.
** Non-Member price includes a 1-year AWS Individual Membership.
*** No additional membership included with this price.
To view full price list click here.
To take the seminar/exam online, please visit American Welding Online at awo.aws.org
Please refer to the following link
The CWSR exam is most often taken online, along with the online seminar. To take the exam only, you will need to test at sites where the AWS CWI exam is scheduled. Custom training and examination is another option that allows you to have a group of sales personnel trained and tested right at your workplace.
|Certified Welding Sales Representative Examination: Single Part|
|Minimum number of questions:||60|
The CWSR examination is two hours long and consists of 100 multiple choice questions. The exam will be given in a closed book format. Certified welding sales representative candidates shall pass (with a minimum of 70% correct answers) the CWSR written examination subjects are listed in AWS B5.14, Specification for the Qualification of Welding Sales Representatives.
Examination topics establish your level of knowledge concerning:
- Five arc welding processes
- Brazing and soldering
- Safety in processes and gas cylinder handling
- AWS filler metal classifications
- Shielding gas applications
- Welding terminology
- Electrical requirements for power sources
- Welding procedures and qualifications
If you're a veteran with G.I. Bill Benefits, and you're looking for a good job, or you want to change jobs, or if you want to move ahead in your present job, licensing or certification may hold the key for you!
Body of Knowledge
The Certified Sales Representative is required to renew his/her certification every three years. Renewal requires written documentation to support evidence of continued activity in the occupational position of welding sales representative.
If the certification is allowed to lapse beyond the grace period, renewal is not permitted. A new application for certification shall be submitted and both educational and examination requirements of Clause 5 and 6.1 of QC14 shall be met.
Please visit the documents tab to access the CWSR renewal application.
After two (2) consecutive renewals [total of nine (9) years of continuous certification], the certificate holder is required to recertify to maintain CWSR credentials by meeting the requirements of sections 11.1.1 and 11.1.2 of QC14:2009.
The following is needed for submission:
- Documentation to support evidence of continued activity in the occupational position of welding sales representative shall be provided.
- Successful passing score on CWSR written examinations, as defined in 6.1. or qualified exemption based upon the following:
- Demonstration of continued education in subject areas identified in Clause 7 of AWS B5.14 equivalent to 80 professional development hours (PDH) over the nine (9) year period of certification with 20 PDH being completed in the immediate three (3) year period preceding the 9-year recertification.
Please visit the documents tab to access the CWSR recertification application.