Demonstrate Your Teaching Expertise
The AWS program for the certification of Welding Educators has been developed to define minimum standards for welding educators and to provide respected recognition for those who demonstrate the skills, knowledge, and experience needed:
- Welding educators understand welding training requirements; prepare instruction plans; conduct training classes; and evaluate student performance
- They may using prepared instructional materials or develop their own original instructional materials
- They are familiar with welding processes, welding procedures, welder qualifications, materials and the limitations of weld testing
- They must be able to read drawings, prepare records and develop reports
Exams for both a Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) and a Certified Welding Educator (CWE) are identical. However, the Part C - Code Book portion is not required for CWE certification. The CWI and CWE certifications may be earned simultaneously.
Please visit the Certified Welding Inspector Certification webpage to access the CWI/CWE Exam Application. It is mandatory that you submit the CWE Welding Instructor Credentials form along with the completed CWI/CWE Exam Application.
CURRENT SCWI, CWI and CAWI
If you are a current SCWI, CWI or CAWI, and you meet the Certified Welding Educator criteria outlined below, no testing is required for the CWE certification. Simply:
- Complete the CWE Short Form Application
- Teach full or part-time in a classroom environment
- Maintain a valid welder certificate
- Obtain a written recommendation from your teaching supervisor that attests to your teaching qualifications and ability
Initial CWE Exam Application
CWE Non-Exam Application
CWE Renewal Application
CWE Welding Instructor Credentials Form
Initial CWI/CWE Exam application
Retest Application for CAWI, CWI, CWE, or CWI/CWE
QC5, AWS Standard for the Certification of Welding Educators
Photo ID Requirements
AWS adopts the same guidelines for photos as does the U.S. Department of State for passport photos. The following guidelines are borrowed and modified from the U.S. Department of State website.
Your photo is a vital part of your application. To learn more, review the information below on how to provide a suitable photo to avoid processing delays. The acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the AWS.
We recommend you use a professional passport photo service to ensure your photo meets all the requirements.
If you are applying for a Certification, you must provide one (1) passport-style photograph. Your photo must be:
- In color
- Printed on photo quality paper
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Including the full head from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin and the top of the shoulders
- Center the head with the frame
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis:
- Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.
- Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device or similar articles, they may be worn for your photo.
- Dark glasses or non-prescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required)
- Glare on glasses is not acceptable in your photo. Glare can be avoided with a slight downward tilt of the glasses or by removing the glasses or by turning off the camera flash.
Photos may be rejected and a new one requested if the photo has any of the following deficiencies:
- Shadows on the face or in the background
- Poor contrast (too bright, too dark)
- Poor coloring
- Poor focus
- Poor resolution (discernible pixels)
- Poor exposure (over or under)
- Noticeable tilt of the head
Photos copied or digitally scanned from driver's licenses or other official documents are not acceptable. In addition, snapshots, magazine photos, low quality vending machine or mobile phone photos, and full-length photographs are not acceptable
Want to take the photo yourself?
While we recommend you use a professional passport photo service to ensure your photo meets all the requirements, you may take the photo yourself. Hand-held self-portraits are not acceptable. Photos must not be digitally enhanced or altered to change your appearance in any way. Please use reliable references for guidance on taking your own photo. There are several online software tools for this purpose. It is your responsibility to ensure the tool you use produces a photo that meets AWS specifications.
Examination results will NOT be released until we receive the 2 x 2 inch color passport-style photograph. To avoid delays in receiving your examination results, please mail your photo to the address listed below:
American Welding Society Certification Department Photo Center
8669 NW 36 Street, Suite 130
Miami, FL 33166-6672
We recommend using priority mail with tracking options.
Last Revised: January 9, 2014
|CERTIFIED WELDING EDUCATOR (CWE)||Member||Non–Member*|
|CWE Exam Only||635||850|
|CWE Exam for AWS SENSE Program Participants Only||275||490|
(Current or previously achieved CWI or CAWI)
|Welding Inspection Technology (WIT) and
Visual Inspection Workshop (VIW)
|CWE/CWI Exam Combo for AWS SENSE Program Participants Only||470||685|
|CWE Renewal for AWS SENSE Program Participants Only||200||415|
NOTE: PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
* Non-Member price includes a 3-year AWS Individual Membership unless otherwise noted.
To view full price list click here.
Please refer to the following link
Please refer to the following link
Please refer to the following link for the Exam Schedule.
Number of Questions
|Part A: General||150||60%|
|Part B: Practical||48||60%|
Part A: FUNDAMENTALS – Closed book exam.
Part B: PRACTICAL – Hands-on test; using Book of Specifications and Test Kit containing basic tools and weld replicas.
For those candidates registering for examination only, an Examination Book of Specifications will be sent in an examination confirmation package. On the exam date, all candidates will be provided and required to use an original copy of the Examination Book of Specifications. If you would like a copy of the Book of Specifications, please visit the documents tab on this page.
Do not answer the exam questions based on the AWS D1.1 codebook as the information found in the Book of Specifications may not be the same.
You will be provided with a test kit for this portion of the exam. The test kit contains some basic tools such as fillet weld gauges, butt weld gauge, micrometer and dial caliper. A laminated sheet of photographs is provided for reference on some of the questions. Weld replicas of T-joints, groove welds, bend samples and reduced tensile bar are also included for use during the examination.
CWE candidates have three years from the initial exam date to take up to three re-exams. Candidates may take one (1) retest within one year of the original test date without further training. Any additional retests taken will require documentation of 40 hours of further training received in welding inspection meeting the requirements of section 16.5.1 of AWS QC1, Standard for AWS Certification of Welding Inspectors.
If you're a veteran with G.I. Bill Benefits, and you're looking for a good job, or you want to change jobs, or if you want to move ahead in your present job, licensing or certification may hold the key for you!
Body of Knowledge
The AWS Certified Welding Educator is required to renew his/her certification every four years. The CWE must meet the following requirements for renewal:
- Complete the CWE renewal application.
- Attest to two years of activity in welding education practice, or in related activities as defined in AWS QC5, AWS Standard for Certification of Welding Educators, during their four-year certification.
Please visit the documents tab to access the CWE renewal application.
The CWE certification does not have any recertification requirements: only renewal requirements.